+5

According to my ex wife, there was only one "right" or "correct" way to wash dishes or fold laundry. I always thought she should have been happy because I was willing to do those things. Amirite?

This is the honest truth. I was (and still am) the kind of husband who believed in helping out around the house and carrying equal portions of the load. When I would go to wash the dishes by myself, she would come in and tell me I was doing them "wrong." I group things together and wash all of certain items at a time (all plates, all cups, all silverware). She insisted on just throwing everything in together saying that was "right." The same was true with folding laundry. If I was folding underwear, socks, pants, or shirts, she would come along and tell me I was doing it "wrong" and re-do them! I lasted 20 years with her, so I guess I can't be all that bad.

freespeechfreelancers avatar Life
0 8
The voters have decided that freespeechfreelancer is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.
@1924841

LOL.........we didn't have a dishwasher and always washed by hand. But that is funny - loading the dishwasher incorrectly.

@1924841

And more times than not, they are only doing it the way they saw it done by their parents. I have often wondered how preferential tasks turned in to rights or wrongs. My ex wife did it like her mother of course, so her mother was THE GOSPEL, and that was that. I always told her all that mattered was GETTING IT DONE - how a person did it was their choice.

I don't like when people fold my clothes incorrectly or do the dishes differently than I do. How they do it isn't wrong.. it's just not pleasing to me so I usually do it my way

@Wunderscore I don't like when people fold my clothes incorrectly or do the dishes differently than I do. How they do it isn't...

I just don't get how anyone could view those tasks as "incorrect." You say that if someone does it differently that it isn't wrong, but if you would re-fold clothes they have folded or would not be pleased with the way they did dishes, then in essence, that is saying their way is wrong. And this is why I want to have posts like this on here so younger people can see these are bigger issues than many people think. And when you decide to live with or marry a significant other, these are issues that should have been addressed beforehand or they can lead to huge relationship problems. That I KNOW for a fact! I lived it for 20 long miserable years.

@freespeechfreelancer I just don't get how anyone could view those tasks as "incorrect." You say that if someone does it differently that...

Incorrect according to my standards. There is no "right" or "wrong" way to fold clothes; their way is perfectly fine for them. However, it's not how I want it to be done, so I just do it myself.

So because I'm young I don't know about these "bigger issues?" I'm ignorant about a lot of things, and I like these kinds of posts so that I can see others' opinions and learn. But being aged doesn't mean that you're not ignorant too. Not that you said you aren't, but I feel that this needs to be addressed.

While that may be a FACT in your situation, it is unreasonable to apply the results of one situation to all situations.