+13

Religious people: you don't view your religion as a way of ascertaining passage into heaven, but rather as a way of living a fulfilled life here on earth. Heaven is guaranteed for all those who are righteous and deserving regardless of their faith, amirite?

0 14

That is definitely not how most people I've seen view religion. At my local mosque, people believe that Islam is the one true religion and those who don't believe will go to hell. I'm not sure how it is for Christianity but from what I've seen, the teachings advocate the same idea: our religion is the truth and those who don't accept it are disbelievers and will burn. Oh, and I'm not religious, but I want to contribute my two cents anyway.

@Altoid_Freak_250 That is definitely not how most people I've seen view religion. At my local mosque, people believe that Islam is...

I always thought in Islam all people of the book (Jews, Christians, etc) go to heaven. I could be wrong. My view on religion is that it is the easiest way to live a fulfilling and righteous life but its not the only way.

@I always thought in Islam all people of the book (Jews, Christians, etc) go to heaven. I could be wrong. My view on...

Perhaps, but when I attended Sunday school as a child, we were taught that the Jews and Christians took that words of God and changed them around. I remember my Qu'ran teacher, Sister Linda, specifically said after one girl questioned about other religions, "You wanna go stand with your other friends on the Day of Judgement? That's fine. But they're wrong. Islam is the only truth." She's a convert though, and I think her devotion to the mosque led to her zealousness.

Anyway, personally, I agree with you. If such a place as heaven exists, people should be granted entry based on how they lived their lives and whether or not they were good people, not based on what religion they followed.

In my experience, this way of thinking is generally only seen among the older members of the church. I don't know how it is at other churches, but at my church the elderly are crazy and closed-minded and not to be listened to.

ginnypotter93s avatar ginnypotter93 Yeah You Are 0Reply
@ginnypotter93 In my experience, this way of thinking is generally only seen among the older members of the church. I don't know...

It's unfortunate, isn't it? I've noticed, too, that a lot of the older generation is conservative and firmly devoted to their religious principles. I'm glad that a lot of the younger generation is more open to other ideas and more accepting of others and their beliefs.

Well, I believe that Heaven is right here on Earth. I don't believe that there's a place we go after we die.

Pretty bold to claim who gets into Heaven

@HopeImrite Pretty bold to claim who gets into Heaven

Didn't mean to make it sound like this was absolute truth. It's just my opinion.

I believe both...

@1925890

Batman. Who are you?

I can't truly say I agree with all parts of this post.

Personally, I do not believe piety can earn one passage into Heaven, even through the Christian faith to which I adhere. No amount of rituals practiced or good works performed on our own strength can qualify us for entry into Heaven, and righteousness is a quality God sees in His people, regardless of their shortcomings. Christ considered those seeking repentance and right standing with God, regardless of their background or what they've done, to be bound for Heaven while many of the religious leaders of the day, blameless in the eyes of the Law, he considered bound for Hell. He called his followers holy, though they were anything but, and challenged them to live up to that description. Heaven is a gift received through walking with God, not a cheque cashed upon retirement. I wouldn't call anyone deserving of Heaven any more than I would call someone deserving of an inheritance: in both cases the relationship to the giver is what matters most.

As for Heaven being guaranteed regardless of faith... faith can be misdirected. I would say placing one's faith in one's own abilities or in the minutia of a belief system is misplaced. That being said, the Bible seems to indicate that where someone is heading spiritually, not necessarily what they've done or what their background is, plays a role in God's judgment of those who have never heard the Gospel or who die before they formally make a decision to follow Him, and I believe God is a just judge.

So do I believe my religion will get me into Heaven? No: walking with God will. Is Heaven what I'm chasing? No: knowing God better is. Do I consider my life fulfilling? Ultimately, yes: it's complex, it's filled with joy and heartache, confusion and clarity, successes and failures, and winding paths I'm led down only with a promise in mind. Am I going to Heaven? Yes, but not because I am a paragon of virtue or deserving of reward, but because I accepted the gift that gets me there.

But those are just my two cents. Thought-provoking post, OP!

TYPOs avatar TYPO No Way 0Reply
@TYPO I can't truly say I agree with all parts of this post. Personally, I do not believe piety can earn one passage...

I meant deserving in the eyes of our creator. God knows who is deserving and who is not. My personal belief is that his love is stronger than our faith in him.

Thanks. I enjoyed your comment. It made me think too.