Is a Fetus a Person?

The debate over whether abortion should be considered as murder often focuses on the question of whether the fetus is a person or not.
Here the issue of culture and religion comes in.
But what does it take to identify a fetus as a person? There are thinkers today with the belief that a fetus can be called a human being, but should not be called a person because it takes more to be a person than just having genetic material.

Philosopher Mary Ann Warren argues that in order to be considered a person, a being should have the following characteristics:

1. A developed capacity for reasoning.
2. Self awareness
3.Consciousness and ability to feel pain
4. Self motivated activity
5. Capacity to comminicate messages of an indefinite variety of types.

It would seem as if even new born babies may not be considered as persons according to the aforementioned school of thought.

No doubt infanticide has always got widespread condemnation, but abortion has always been a controversial issue.
So, what do you think? Is a fetus a person?

Image for post Is a Fetus a Person?
Sophie31s avatar
0 17

Yes, I think so. I may be mistaken, but I am pretty sure it exhibits all the signs of life. As for the person qualifications you provided, I disagree with those. Like you said, a newborn might not fit those, as well as disabled people.

Physically and scientifically, yes, its a human being.
Legally, no, it shouldnt be considered a person.

It depends at what stage of development the fetus is. Is a cluster of fertilized cells a person? I don't think so. Is it ethical to abort a nearly fully-developed fetus? Probably not.

Basically, I think that a fetus should be considered a human if it would be able to live outside of the womb (with medical attention, obviously).

It bores me to define what is alive by a doctored picture.

I don't think so because a person is a human being regarded to as an individual. The connotation to the word person is more than having the genetic material that makes you human, it's being exposed to and molded by the experiences and culture of your life. Even the second you come out of the womb and go into your mother's arms is an important part of molding who you are as in individual. The word person is much more individualized, it doesn't just mean being human- you've got your PERSONality, your PERSONal views, your chairPERSON, spokesPERSON, objects are PERSONified by taking on the characteristics that a human can have- People are more individualized, the connotation is to a member of society or someone with unique attributes (the spokesperson, chairperson), while human means pretty much the same as homo sapien and is much more broad. Being a person also implies sentience, and you can't abort a fetus once it's been presumed sentient. All people are humans, but not all humans are people.

@Frank_n_Furter I don't think so because a person is a human being regarded to as an individual. The connotation to the word person...

A fetus does have an individual personality. For example, some are rowdy and some are calm. The temperament is consistent in that the rowdy fetus usually stays rowdy as a child. Nature with nurture begins immediately (conception).

@A fetus does have an individual personality. For example, some are rowdy and some are calm. The temperament is...

There's more to being a person than having individual temperament that is consistent though out life. Cats do that too and they're not considered people. Besides, a fetus doesn't have temperament from conception- it isn't biologically capable yet.

@Frank_n_Furter There's more to being a person than having individual temperament that is consistent though out life. Cats do that...

I said nature with nurture begins from the get go. Not temperament. Cats have personalities too so the factors you listed define a cat as well.

@I said nature with nurture begins from the get go. Not temperament. Cats have personalities too so the factors you...

I thought your nature vs. nurture comment was in reference to the temperament and personality thing- that it's nature and nurture working from conception, I didn't think you were just throwing that in just because. Cats have cat personalities- a cat having a cat personality doesn't make it a person. I said "it's being exposed to and molded by the experiences and culture of your life" (cats aren't gonna have a human experience or culture), "member of society (the word society refers to humans) or someone (the word someone doesn't refer to animals) with unique attributes", "humans are people
(and the reverse, people are humans)", so no, the things I listed that make a person don't define a cat as well because a cat isn't a human and along with all of the things I listed that make a person, you also have to be human.

its alive dont mater

alive meaning mitosis has started

I don't think it's necessarily a person. A human, yes. Alive, yes. But not a person. That just gets into very specific details I won't bore you with.