+70

Name brand clothes and shoes are overrated and over priced. Amirite?

Image for post Name brand clothes and shoes are overrated and over priced.  Amirite?
freespeechfreelancers avatar Fashion
1 23
The voters have decided that freespeechfreelancer is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Like Toms?

Those things are made of barely any material, and they're $50 or so.

BuddyCakess avatar BuddyCakes Yeah You Are +1Reply
@BuddyCakes Like Toms? Those things are made of barely any material, and they're $50 or so.

To be fair, I think Toms are more expensive because they donate to the less fortunate whenever you buy their shoes.

rilaras avatar rilara Yeah You Are +3Reply
@rilara To be fair, I think Toms are more expensive because they donate to the less fortunate whenever you buy their shoes.

To be really fair, read this link I just found. I had not heard of Toms, so just did a little checking up. They are made in at least 3 places, and use the cheapest of materials (canvas is not expensive). The link writer compares the Toms model with the SoleRebels model. Quite a difference. See what you think.
http://whereamiwearing.com/2011/04/toms-shoes/

@freespeechfreelancer To be really fair, read this link I just found. I had not heard of Toms, so just did a little checking up. They are...

That was an interesting article. It makes a very good point. In the same way that giving food to poor countries in Africa isn't as effective as giving people a means to make their own food, giving shoes to the poor isn't as effective as giving them a means to buy their own shoes.

I'm not really surprised by the poor quality of the shoes though. It's not shocking that a business would want to make as large of a profit as possible.

To be really really fair, they are still doing some good!

rilaras avatar rilara Yeah You Are 0Reply
@rilara That was an interesting article. It makes a very good point. In the same way that giving food to poor countries in...

I thought so as well. And yes, SOME good is always better than NO good! Nice discussion.

For the most part I agree. But you can buy a name brand pair of jeans or a sweater and it can last you for years. It will be more expensive, but it's worth it.

ThisBlackChicks avatar ThisBlackChick Yeah You Are +1Reply
@ThisBlackChick For the most part I agree. But you can buy a name brand pair of jeans or a sweater and it can last you for years...

Most name brand clothes are made in 3rd world countries where they pay slave wages to the workers. That may be the going rate there, but the point is, it is made for pennies on the dollar by either a child or starving adult, then brought here and sold for outrageous amounts. Many people don't realize that various name brands are made IN the exact same factories. The ONLY difference is the label put on them and the prices once here. Food is the same way. I encourage the up and coming generation to do a little homework on this topic and you will be amazed.

@freespeechfreelancer Most name brand clothes are made in 3rd world countries where they pay slave wages to the workers. That may be the...

Yes, but that didn't really relate to the above comment. Name brand products are often more durable or of better quality than their knockoff versions.

@Wunderscore Yes, but that didn't really relate to the above comment. Name brand products are often more durable or of better...

Do you REALLY believe that or just saying it because the higher price means it "must" be better? And how fast is a teen going to wear out a shirt, blouse, pants, shoes?

@freespeechfreelancer Do you REALLY believe that or just saying it because the higher price means it "must" be better? And how fast is a...

I wear a Ralph Lauren nightshirt most every night and its doing just fine, my Nike running shoes are going strong on year four, my seven year old coach wallet looks new, my Bass boots, which I purchased four years ago, are just starting to show use. My point is that products are overpriced (that's how a business generally works. They need some kind if profit.) but sometimes both the producers and consumers benefit.

Additionally, a product is worth exactly how much consumers are willing to pay for it. That in mind, it does seem sort of silly to call name brand products, which are in high demand, "overpriced."

@Wunderscore I wear a Ralph Lauren nightshirt most every night and its doing just fine, my Nike running shoes are going strong...

Ok, I am NOT trying to be contentious with you, but you cited the brands YOU wear (no problem whatsoever with that), BUT what would the results be had you been wearing OTHER brands? My point is, if you only wear a certain brand, then how do you know if a lesser priced brand would last any less longer than the higher ones you do wear? I would think about any brand nightshirt would go for years since there is no real wear and tear being done to it (you lay there asleep in it). I personally have never been hard on shoes and even in high school could keep shoes for years (any brand) without ever wearing them out. I am a big Thrift Store shopper and I get the same name brands that are popular but for pennies compared to what they sell for in the big name stores. I have actually purchased stuff with the new tag still on it. Many people have a major issue with wearing something that somebody else owned, but I don't. I have tennis shoes and dress shoes right now that I have had for 8 plus years. I am assuming your wallet is something you carry in a purse or handbag, which is much different than a man carrying his in his back pants pocket. I have tried different brands, but they all seem to last anywhere from 2 - 5 years.
And yes, products are worth whatever people will pay. So as long as someone is buying, there will be very high priced items.

@freespeechfreelancer Ok, I am NOT trying to be contentious with you, but you cited the brands YOU wear (no problem whatsoever with...

I don't wear those brands exclusively. You're right in that a nightshirt doesn't get much wear and tear, so it is likely to last for a long time. However, I find that it is much more comfortable than other brands, such as WalMart and Target. Perhaps I don't explain myself, but you always seem to twist what I say, and it's really a poor tactic for arguments. I have owned many other brands of the aforementioned products, and they were either of lesser quality or were not as durable as the products I mentioned. I'm really hard on my shoes, and they usually last about two years before I donate them. Where did I say that I don't shop at thrift stores? If I did, please excuse the mistake, because about 70 percent of my clothes come from thrift stores. But that has no place in this argument whatsoever. I usually just carry my wallet as a clutch, though I do sometimes throw it into my purse, backpack, gym bag, or suitcase.

@Wunderscore I don't wear those brands exclusively. You're right in that a nightshirt doesn't get much wear and tear, so it is...

Since you somehow feel threatened or misconstrued by my comments pertaining to your comments, I will end my discussion. I was not attacking, belittling, or insulting you in any way, shape, or form. But you believe I am twisting what you say, so I will simply back off and leave you be. I was simply trying to have discussion and you seem to have taken offense. You can wear anything you wish, at any price you wish to pay, for as long as you wish to wear it. It makes absolutely no difference to me one way or the other.

@1926588

I guess you mean subjective in the sense that it is entirely each and everyone's preference or taste? Basically, I was implying in overrated the whole image and hype that goes with a name brand anything.

@1926591

Gotcha. Do you think peer pressure plays as big a role as anything in determining what young people wear?

@1926598

Good balanced answer. I have always thought it to be kind of strange that teens want to all be individuals and unique, but then when you LOOK at them, they have the same clothes, styles, hair, etc. Nothing unique about that. I like the way you put it in your comment. Thanks for sharing.

Jimmy Choos, Dolce & Gabbana, Ed Hardy, Abercrombie & Fitch, Coach, Juicy Couture, may I go on?

@iEmily Jimmy Choos, Dolce & Gabbana, Ed Hardy, Abercrombie & Fitch, Coach, Juicy Couture, may I go on?

You named some high end brands, but what is your point? Are they better than all other brands or do they just cost way more?

Yes, not all but most of them charge for the Goodwill.