+15

The media reports only what it wants to report and ignores anything else that is important. Amirite? For example, a guy from California tries to blow up a mosque with 500 members gathered for a funeral. Mainstream media ignored this event. If a Muslim happens to be the one in possession of bombs, his face will surely be plastered all over the news.

I deleted the video so just see the example I gave in the post as an example. Chase pointed out there was more to the video than meets the eyes.

fuzalas avatar News & Current Events
0 16

That's terrible. I was at my local mosque last month to attend a funeral for the victims of a horrible car crash that happened in my area. A devout Muslim woman along with her three sons died, two of them instantly. She was so well respected in the mosque and I used to volunteer at the Sunday school where her sons went. It was one of the most tragic things I have ever experienced. I have absolutely no respect for anyone that would dare to disturb a funeral. That is just unbelievably sad.

It doesn't exclusively ignore what's important, it reports the news it receives and doesn't report what it doesn't have information about. Plus somethings are more important to others. Like how 3 fires happened on the same day as the Chicago Fire, but only one (the chicago one) was noted, even though another one had the biggest death toll of all time. A guy from California also tried to kill people at disneyland, but I don't think many heard about that. A lot of news goes unnoticed, of course it reports what it wants, that's a liberty of being a news network. Some is headlining because people look that stuff up, some isn't because no one bothers to look. I blame people more than the news.

@Skr3wBall It doesn't exclusively ignore what's important, it reports the news it receives and doesn't report what it doesn't...

people are part of the news

of course the media is trying to make money
but I'm tired of being portrayed as the bad guy
while other similar stories of different people are kept hush hush

it's just promoting the whole stereotype of who is a terrorist
and people buy into it

attacks against Muslims being reported in mainstream media is miniscule in comparison to when it's the other way around

making it seem as if Muslims attack more than we are attacked

I think the media does this as war propaganda like they did with the Japanese internment camps for one of the World Wars

@fuzala people are part of the news of course the media is trying to make money but I'm tired of being portrayed as the...

Yeah I know, people are stereotyped, it's not just Muslims, most news services have a bias. Yes people are part of the news, but outside of that business, if readers read certain things more than others, then they make more of what appeals. And why not? that's smart. People get shot all the time, homicides are committed in the hundreds at least once a week, but not many are noticed, that's just how it goes. It can't report everything and allow everyone to see it, deaths happen too fast for that to ever occur.

@Skr3wBall Yeah I know, people are stereotyped, it's not just Muslims, most news services have a bias. Yes people are part of...

I don't think you read all of what I said
(because I edited some more stuff in)

and I know plenty of people are stereotyped
I just happened to mention one group in this post

this Muslim mother was killed in her home
and this one was reported in the news
but as I said before
the number of attacks against Muslims being reported is miniscule in comparison to the other way around

I think the murderer committed the hate crime (killing that mother)
because of what he learned from the media

there's a lot of hostility against innocent Muslims because people didn't take the media with a grain of salt

I don't think innocent people should have to suffer because of the actions of others

@fuzala I don't think you read all of what I said (because I edited some more stuff in) and I know plenty of people are...

also
so what if the news is biased?

I'm still gonna speak out against what it has to offer if I have a problem with it

World War 2 after Japan bombed the U.S..

Propaganda is what the lady did at the end of that newscast. It's a totally plausible thought, but she can't know that if it were a muslim it'd be all over the news. She wants everyone to think that and bash the media. I definitely don't like all that the media does, but I don't think it's the mainstream media's fault for not knowing. I searched the first words she said, and from my findings, they're only on six sites that I could find (and I think her video is on more than half of them). Not even local media is covering that case, I'm surprised she knew and glad she got it on TV and people on facebook guilting people to get likes spread the word. But of course she could be right, there's a good chance she is. But I think it's more than the media chooses what it wants and ignores what' s important, I think it gets what it can get, and gets out even less.

@Skr3wBall World War 2 after Japan bombed the U.S.. Propaganda is what the lady did at the end of that newscast. It's a...

by propaganda I mean the first definition

"information, ideas, or rumors deliberately spread widely to help or harm a person, group, movement, institution, nation, etc."

http://dictionary.reference.com...propaganda?s=t

what she said is to inform people about the bias
make them aware and whatnot

she may be "harming" mainstream media
but she's not promoting hate against a group of people

now I'm not saying that is the intention of the mainstream media
but hate crime against Muslims is on the rise

Japan bombed the US
but that doesn't mean innocent Japanese American citizens deserved to be trapped in camps and looked at as the enemy

those camps were completely unjust
they went overboard
and were unnecessarily suspicious

again
innocent people suffering for the actions of others

the media is not shy when it comes to war propaganda
history is repeating itself

I think it's trying to make it seem okay (or at the very least trying to take attention away from the fact) that drones are killing innocent people overseas
or that invasions are occurring in foreign countries
or for trying to get oil that belongs to other nations
or for trying to force democracy on nations that were better off before the force

also

the government has at least some control over the media
so I don't think the media is MERELY giving the people the entertainment they want

I see another agenda

some may dismiss me as being paranoid
but you can't ignore what's going on overseas

@fuzala also the government has at least some control over the media so I don't think the media is MERELY giving the...

Well, I want to make sure you get I agree with you in general and I get you want to defend your religion (even though it means not giving me a hug... I'll try to stop resenting that but cry smilie)
I agree that Muslims have been stereotyped in the news, along with blacks, women, hispanics, immigrants and more, but I actually don't like the video you posted now that I've looked up stuff about it.
His explosives were fireworks.
He was drinking from Cali to Michigan.
He actually converted to Islam before committing this crime.
He's tried to attack war vets and muslims... two groups he affiliates with.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/20...e_bombing_plot
This wasn't kept on the down-low, and this was one of the few times the stereotype wasn't applied. (unless I horribly misinterpreted something) I have still seen propaganda in the omnipotent media, but I don't think I'd include this as one of those times. Another reason not to trust the media nonetheless.

@Skr3wBall Well, I want to make sure you get I agree with you in general and I get you want to defend your religion (even...

although that man is anti-government
I'm not completely against the government

I just have many, MANY complaints

and I should've done my homework with the video
it's doing one of the things I'm complaining about wary smilie

I looked at it some more
and there were explosives along with fireworks
according to this article

which also states

"And while there’s no indication that Stockham was influenced by any political figure or faction, his actions are by no means isolated. As more and more pundits and politicians encourage paranoia and vilify Muslim Americans rather than responsibly speaking out against it, they cultivate an Islamophobic atmosphere of hate that make incidents like this more likely. After all, with the House Homeland Security Committee Chairman Peter King (R-NY) preaching that “80 percent of mosques in this country are controlled by radical Imams,” it seems only a matter of time before someone like Stockham offers a “radical” solution."
http://thinkprogress.org/securi...lot/?mobile=nc

but still
I want to note that my post by itself still stands
even without the example

so you think we Muslims deserve a bad reputation?

you can see why I have a need to defend my beliefs then

see comment:
http://amirite.com/748597-musli...nt-the/1931562

@Skr3wBall I don't even remember that post, why are you getting at me?

I'm not getting at you

you agreed to the post that says we deserve a bad reputation

so you can understand why I wanna defend my beliefs