+28

Vegetarians should be able to live life without conflict! Amirite.

frithveitch9s avatar Life
0 67

No one's life is, can be, or should be, free of conflict.

Lens avatar Len Disagree +12Reply

Why only vegetarians? Us meat eaters deserve to live on easy street too!

rilaras avatar rilara Disagree +4Reply
@rilara Why only vegetarians? Us meat eaters deserve to live on easy street too!

It depends. Is there anything inherently wrong with eating meat? Some would say no, but I don't really see the need to end the life of another sentient being when the nutrients are readily available elsewhere. However, if you are a meat eater in the sense that most people are (e.g. supporting the meat industry), then I believe you deserve all the trouble in the world.

@1927285

Atrocities committed elsewhere don't take away from how bad the meat industry is. It's like a modern day Holocaust, except nobody cares because the animals aren't people. The "deforestation that takes place to plant the crops we eat" argument is so out-of-this-world ridiculous that I'm not sure I'll be able to effectively respond. Not because it's difficult to refute, but because I'm so caught off guard by the stupidity of it that I can't gather my thoughts.

I'm not criticizing people specifically for their choice of food. I'm criticizing people for supporting a ghastly industry that gives rise to unimaginable suffering and death. How are any of those other points related? If we want to talk about clothing, I will complain about people buying clothing made by children in foreign countries. We're talking about food, though. I, in general, protest how we live our cushy lives completely oblivious to the suffering of another living thing that was required to get us our convenience. You give me a slice of deer that was hunted in the wild? I'll take that shit and eat it right down. Offer me a slice of beef that was raised in a cage too small for it to move, given artificial hormones to make it grow so large it can barely stand, and never allowed outside, I will pass.

Looks to me like you're just being an asshole trying to nit-pick with completely out of context and irrelevant points. And yes, we are made to eat meat, but clearly our systems can't handle the processed bullshit being pumped out by the industry, because processed meat is being linked to all sorts of cancer and heart disease.

I'm kinda (not really at all) sorry about responding rudely, but bring some better arguments if you wish to criticize me.

@1927393

To address your final sentence: I don't know if you've seen any of my other comments on the issue, but I would end all of humanity if given the option. I don't discriminate much.

@1936954

I'm weak. I can't resist. I mean, glad that idiot JimiHendrix is gone...

1. Are you a doctor? If not, I'd trust the opinion of his doctors over you (sorry if that sounds condescending or assholeish. not intentional)

2. That list does not take external factors into account. One example is Carl Lewis. He's an African American of West African descent. Most of the fastest men in the world are of West African descent. The claim that his success is solely due to his vegan diet is unfounded. Plus I've counted at least 14 people faster than him. All of West African decent and all meat eaters as far as I can tell. Cool story, Lewis also won gold in the previous Olympics before he became a vegan. He was a top athlete before and after joining the dark side.
Apart from Lewis, Scott and Navratilova, none of those athletes are Olympic or World champions in their field. And Navratilova is a Pescetarian.

Other 2. That claim is unproven.

3. Suffering death for food is natural. I've seen videos of killer whales toying with dolphins before they kill them. Nature is a cruel bitch.

4. Other animals consume their prey live while they still squirm and struggle. Plus the killer whale thing I said before.

Chimps have been recorded using tools to hunt, btw. Tool use is a natural part of evolution. Our world we've built is a natural part of evolution. I think Jimi (who is definitely not me >_>) was implying that nature sucks. And we're a part of this sucky nature.
Are you a philosophy major cause you know a lot about fallacies? (smooth pick-up line)

5. People would take them in? Have you met people? We're kinda selfish bastards.

We have every right to complain. It's just as much our world as it is theirs. And if their existence is threatening us, we have just as much right to fight back as they do. It wouldn't be a fair fight though.

@1936277

Plants are living things as well, so every plant you "kill" to eat is unethical. Life is life. You are taking the life of a plant to survive, and that is morally unethical based on your logic. The food chain requires and demands that something kills and eats something else to survive.
Do you not think or believe that vegans die at young ages? How is that possible if the vegan way and diet is truly superior or the solution to perfect health? I think if you will research the facts of good health, you will find that most experts say it has everything to do with your inherited genes and chromosomes over anything else. Those who are born in to a good healthy blood line, tend to have fewer medical problems and issues than those born in to blood lines having a history of medical complications.
We should all "watch" what we eat, but to say diet alone will improve and ensure a longer healthier life is simply irresponsible and uninformed.

@1935909

Meat is not possibly unethical because it is not a moral issue. It is our right to survive and eat as we choose. If you choose no meat, you are not a moral purist. You have made a choice to abstain from something you have determined is a bad choice for you. That does not make it a bad choice for the rest of the world.

@1927393

You are more correct and balanced than the opposition is giving you credit for. There is a specific air of superiority that comes with claiming to be "vegan." We all know some of them, and they do love to look down their noses and get all ruffled when you eat a burger or pork chop.
And none of us as individuals has the power or control over big business and what they do with our money. ALL industry is involved in corruption to some degree or another. All companies spend money on things we would rather them not - including vegetarian organizations. They may have the not eating meat issue "right" in their own eyes, but they are "wrong" on other issues and practices {i.e. many vegans see no problem with smoking or abusing drugs}. So they feel superior because they are "healthier" by not eating meat, but they indulge in other practices that are probably far worse than the drum they beat.
Since there are no perfect people walking among us, we are all "hypocrites" to some extent. We can not possibly be "right" or "exact" on every single issue or topic. Those who figure out and succeed in some areas of their lives, miserably fail and never figure out how to succeed in others.

Nobody should have a life without conflict, it just doesn't happen. Regardless of what a person eats or doesn't eat, there is always going to be at least one person who has a problem with it for whatever reason. I personally don't care if you only eat meat, vegetables, or shit, it doesn't affect me. I didn't realize vegetarians were living a life filled with so much conflict.

why?

The amount of conflict in this thread shows none of them live without it :)

But vegetarians shouldn't have to deal with flack

@frithveitch9 But vegetarians shouldn't have to deal with flack

ANY time you go against a mainstream practice, view, idea, norm, or social standard, YOU will get flack. You are free to choose and do as you wish - but every choice comes with a price tag.

Oh wait...by conflict do you mean they shouldn't have to deal with people harassing them for their choice in food or something?
If that's the case then I agree because that's just dumb to harass them just because they don't eat meat or whatever.

Or do you mean like they are so pure and good they should get to live life easy while everyone else suffers?
If that's the case then I disagree because just because you don't eat meat doesn't make you like some kind of holy figure that never makes any mistakes and junk, y'know?

no way man!.....we gotta hunt them all XD

i know a guy who doesnt eat meat nor fish ...just because he thinks he is wrong..and i know him from the days before he became vegitarian...and the guy tells me...ooo i love shrimps i love kebab...always my argument was..if you do...eat once in a while! this type of vegitarianism - i do not get.

Oh we could I don't know not worry about what another person is eating.

No the first one. People harass us just for not eating meat and its unfair.

@frithveitch9 No the first one. People harass us just for not eating meat and its unfair.

Well, people harass us for eating meat and that's not fair either. Because of all the strongly held opinions in the world, there's bound to be conflict for both sides.

When you reply to someone, you have to click on the reply button on their comment. They don't see your comment unless you do that.

rilaras avatar rilara Disagree 0Reply

Honestly, I get annoyed when I have to go about inconveniencing myself to deal with a friend's eating habits. Like my cousin is on this strict workout diet/healthy kick. He doesn't eat out at restaurants at all. So when we hang out and it's time to eat, he's gotta cook his little meal at home before we go about doing anything. But it's really nothing more than a -sigh-, bitch, and moan from me. I'm not going to hassle him or anyone else over their diet.

One more thing, OP: To reply to people, click the reply button on their comment. This will make it easier for people to know who you're replying to.

You don't have as much flack as vegetarians do.

@frithveitch9 You don't have as much flack as vegetarians do.

I'm sorry, but meat eaters get much more flack. The only negativity I've ever seen toward vegetarians is toward the pushy ones who basically just talk mad shit to meat eaters. Otherwise, no one really gives a shit if someone is vegetarian. Meanwhile, all of the negativity I see toward meat eaters is from vegetarians telling them meat is murder and how morally unjust they are.