How do YOU keep from getting frustrated and stay positive and active while keeping your eye's open to the problems and hurt in the world?

I've noticed a tendency in myself to want to know how the world works. Chances are that if you're reading this you and and I are much alike in that aspect. Sometimes information I learn is upsetting, like environmental issues, war, famine, corruption, peak oil. But I still want to learn this information. I refuse to stick my head in the sand. And I want to keep making a positive contribution to this world.

Sometimes though I do get frustrated and focus on the negatives in this world. After all, who are we against big corporations, corrupt governments, the military industrial complex, corporate media...

What exactly do you do, see, watch, think about, go to, focus on, to keep on going on with joy and energy while learning and making a positive contribution?

Image for post How do YOU keep from getting frustrated and stay positive and active while keeping your eye's open to the problems and hurt in the world?
Kiras avatar Sports
1 12

I try to make life as good as possible for the people I know, maintain a pretty strict moral code, and wait to die.

That last part is the only saving grace. I only find solace in thinking that none of this matters, and eventually I am going to die. On a Universal scale, every single worldly problem we have won't matter any more than that one kid who cut in line that one time in kindergarten. It's all just dust in the wind, but even less significant.

http://htwins.net/scale2/

@Mike_Hawk I try to make life as good as possible for the people I know, maintain a pretty strict moral code, and wait to...

If nothing matters at all as you state, then why do any of us stick around? What is the point of being here at all if there is absolutely zero significance?

@freespeechfreelancer If nothing matters at all as you state, then why do any of us stick around? What is the point of being here at all...

We stick around due to a built-in will to live. There is no point of significance. If you're driving down a dirt road and your tire kicks a pebble somewhere else, what is the point or significance of it landing there? There is none, it's just the consequence of every circumstance leading up to that point.

I really don't mind dying. It actually seems nice because it would immediately eliminate the stresses of this world. I consider suicide all the time. It's not that things are that bad, I just think of suicide as the same as leaving a room when something in that room annoys you. I did promise someone very important to me that I wouldn't kill myself, though. I don't have any reason to keep that promise; dying would release me from any guilt of breaking that promise. Still, as completely irrational as I find it, I will stick by what I promised them for emotional reasons.

@Mike_Hawk We stick around due to a built-in will to live. There is no point of significance. If you're driving down a dirt...

I don't guess I have ever heard anyone put it that way before, but that is your choice and right. It sounds far too bleak and impersonal to me. If humans have a "built-in will to live" then there has to be a point, reason, purpose, or significance. Pure accidental or random existence could not create or necessitate will, drive, reason, survival or any other instinctive cause for that matter. What would be the point? If we truly are a speck in a causeless senseless universe, then ending our existence would be the same as continuing it.
I don't claim by any means to have all or even most of the answers, but I just can not bring myself to believing or thinking that THIS is all there is and that I am a number that does not matter.

i smoke marijuana and occasionnally do drugs XD

...now i read your post explanation...and i gotta say things like environmental issues, war, famine, corruption, peak oil, death etc. doesnt upset me anymore. this kind of shit is at the news every evening. i can say..nothing can surprise me.

This stuff used to often get me down. I used to feel I had to do something (to fix the world's problems) on the scale of being the next Martin Luther King Jr. or Gandhi. I figured even people such as these felt helpless at times, but somehow they persevered. It's just a matter of will power.

I now set expectations for myself much more reasonably. I try to make my little corner of the world a little better place for those around me, and I live by my own moral code.

And I listen to music. Bob Marley once sang, "One good thing about music, when it hits ya, you feel no pain". Music has that affect on my sometimes. It's like magic. I sometimes think, this musician probably felt (sometime in his or her own life) as horrible and desperate as I have sometimes felt in mine, and their response was to create beautiful music. That alone gives me hope.

Your explanation comment is one of the most intelligent heart felt things I have read since I have been on this site. It is to the point and captures the struggle of bad and evil among us, while trying to make something better of bad situations and circumstances. We have all learned enough in our lifetime at whatever age we may be to know that ONE person can make a huge difference. Most of us will never go down in history as being noted for anything special or of great significance, but by helping someone along the way, saying a kind word, doing that random act of kindness, providing a much needed hug, or saying something that needs to be said - can, will, and does make a difference to the one you did it for. That person will NEVER forget what you did for the rest of their life. By continuing to TRY improving things around you, you are contributing something. It is when we quit trying altogether that puts us in the loser or failure category.

There are two basic types of politically involved people. The Make it Betters (MIB's) and the Leave me Alones (LMA's). The MIB's wield the power of government to make it all better for everyone even if it means taking the private property from one to be given to another (democrats, liberals, progressives, socialists, communists et. al.). The LMA's realize that while they're free to give time and money to charity, the world will never be perfect because humans aren't perfect and spending too much time and effort trying to control other peoples lives (which is required to make it better for them), the LMA's pretty much sit back and chill. I'm an LMA.