+8

Why are some so against first cousin marriages? Why is it even illegal in some places? Amirite? Non-related couples have a risk of deformed children at around 3%. For first cousins, it's about 4% to 6%. It's not even a big deal. Too many blow it out of proportion with the whole "having kids" thing when the risk isn't even that much greater than the non-related couples. There really is no solid reason for cousin marriages to be illegal. Amirite?

fuzalas avatar Relationships
0 24
The voters have decided that fuzala is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Although I do not judge, I find it a bit creepy, especially when the two were raised closely. I feel a bounding kinship with most of my cousins and can't imagine mating with them any more then I would with a brother or sister. However if the two met in adulthood and fell in love, that's different.

It's because some people insist on being in other peoples' faces.

PhilboydStudges avatar PhilboydStudge Yeah You Are +1Reply
@PhilboydStudge It's because some people insist on being in other peoples' faces.

I think it goes back to social construct

I am tired of people saying

"oh your parents are cousins? It's amazing you're not deformed."

this girl in my French class was really offended
her parents are cousins and the class was going on and on about how disgusted they were and deformed children

I'm glad she stood up to the comments

you think the teacher would know more about the science behind it but nope

and my former neighbor
her parents are cousins too
and she believes that crap people tell her about the high deformation rates
and I also have a feeling she blames her parents

fuzalas avatar fuzala Yeah You Are 0Reply
@fuzala I think it goes back to social construct I am tired of people saying "oh your parents are cousins? It's amazing...

Is there anything uglier than a mob? I mean... even if you feel strongly against those arrangements, why harass the poor girl?

PhilboydStudges avatar PhilboydStudge Yeah You Are 0Reply
@PhilboydStudge Is there anything uglier than a mob? I mean... even if you feel strongly against those arrangements, why harass...

I think everyone assumed everyone else was on the same page
(until she spoke up that is)

if I had known the percentages back then
(it was about 4 years ago)
I hoped I would've added that on to the conversation

the girl who spoke up really did shut them up though
but without the facts
I don't think she did any persuading

what gets to me is when people start being ashamed of their parents for being cousins

peer pressure really gets crappy sometimes

fuzalas avatar fuzala Yeah You Are +1Reply
@1929610

that's all speculation of what might happen

if there were laws based on speculation of what might happen
people wouldn't have room to breath

taking pain killers opens the door to pill popping
pain killers aren't illegal

walking opens the door to jaywalking

guns opens the door to murder

money opens the door to theft

I made an fb post about it
and got some feedback there too

https://www.facebook.com/fuzala...t=feed_comment

@fuzala I made an fb post about it and got some feedback there too...

Not trying to accuse you or anything, but as a Muslim what's your stance on gay marriage?

@Not trying to accuse you or anything, but as a Muslim what's your stance on gay marriage?

same-sex marriage is haram

someone else asked me something like that
are you that person? wary smilie

@fuzala same-sex marriage is haram someone else asked me something like that are you that person?

No I'm not :) i take it haram is a bad thing?
its just that in your Facebook thread you said something like just because some may find first cousin marriages disgusting, doesn't mean that should be imposed onto everyone. Could you not say the same of same-sex marriages?
I'm not trying to convince you to support gay marriage. I'm just trying to show how some people may be against something that doesn't concern them and may cause no harm at all. Religion or personal opinion can often cloud someone's judgment on whether an issue should be legal or not.

@fuzala yeah this feels like deja vu read these...

I was referring more to the legal issue to try draw parallels between your question and gay marriage. If you would not support the legalization of gay marriage for religious purposes (or because its 'icky' for some people) then you can understand why some would not support the legalization of first cousin marriages.

I agree it shouldn't be illegal, I was just trying to answer your question :)

@I was referring more to the legal issue to try draw parallels between your question and gay marriage. If you would...

but for cousin marriages
religion isn't against it so...

I understand not everyone is religious
but I'm not making them be against it

I'll make a comparison with alcohol
I don't support the drinking of it
even though others do

everyone's entitled to support whatever they want
if they don't wanna support cousin marriages
so be it

but I do understand where you're going with this

again,
I'm not going to force my view on a society that does not agree with it

@fuzala but for cousin marriages religion isn't against it so... I understand not everyone is religious but I'm not making...

I think some religions might be. Also, it's possible to have a personal belief as strong as ones religious beliefs. Religious beliefs can be very subjective anyway.

But I'm glad you got my point... all those weeks ago.

If more people could see that we should remove our personal/religious bias when it comes to legal issues, we'd live in a much better world.

@I think some religions might be. Also, it's possible to have a personal belief as strong as ones religious beliefs...

you'll have to remember that religion and state are not separate in all countries

think of theocracies
and whatnot

@fuzala you'll have to remember that religion and state are not separate in all countries think of theocracies and whatnot

Yeah, but people in those states tend to suffer because of it. Especially if you're not part of the state religion. In general, theocracies aren't a good idea.

@Yeah, but people in those states tend to suffer because of it. Especially if you're not part of the state religion...

http://www.amirite.com/761328-o...-it-in-another

people tend to suffer regardless of what type of government

in a democracy
the minority suffer because the votes of the majority take over

don't get me wrong though
I am a fan of democracies

@fuzala http://www.amirite.com/761328-o...implement-it-i...

I agree. But we can never use culture or tradition as an excuse to pass oppressive laws. There is no "perfect" government system though. In my opinion though, a secular democratic system is the most fair system we can get.

Except for people to make fun of hill billies screwing their cousins.

@StickCaveman Except for people to make fun of hill billies screwing their cousins.

that's only in certain places
like the West for example
(even though a good chunk of the States have it as legal)

people don't get made fun of for that nearly as much (if at all)
elsewhere

plus,
hillbillies dwell in rural America mostly
no?

@StickCaveman Typically in the south.

well the only hillbillies I've seen have been on TV
and I heard TV isn't always that reliable