Where the effects of decolonisation negative on Africa? In terms of the way European countries left the nations.

I want to find out what the effects of decolonisation were in different African nations; so what happened in society; in the economy; in politics etc.

Image for post Where the effects of decolonisation negative on Africa? In terms of the way European countries left the nations.
Countries & Places
1 1

Well, in general the continent was now divided up into boundaries put into place by the Europeans instead of following those of the tribes themselves, so it split up some groups and combined others that normally wouldn't be combined, which made for some unlikely newfound enemies and alliances in the countries and destroying their senses of nationalism and stuff. It made it hard for them to get their shit together. In some cases such as Congo the government was so unstable after their revolution they still needed political aid from Belgium, the country they had just rebelled from. So yeah. Decolonization of Africa was some messy business.

You asked for specific examples so here's one more- Kenya seems to have done pretty well, they had a nationalist force called the Mau Mau who opposed British rule by fighting as well as helping get more Africans involved in their political process. They eventually joined the African commonwealth and got themselves a president so yay Kenya.

I have no idea if this is common knowledge or if I actually helped or if I just wrote your history homework but I still feel vaguely proud of myself for ~knowing things.~

Anonymous