If you could choose one thing to ensure we achieve in the next 10 years what would it be?

I want to know what people think is the most important issue out there to focus on and why that and not other ideas.

Image for post If you could choose one thing to ensure we achieve in the next 10 years what would it be?
Sebs avatar Life
0 41

female shirts that don't dig into the wearer's underarms

@Montana female shirts that don't dig into the wearer's underarms

how about female pants with suitable pockets?

I know about pants that look like they have pockets for "design"
why not have them there for use too d smilie

also
pockets that are deep enough so the stuff doesn't fall out

I can't stand purses because they're an inconvenience

@1932719

uh, over population is a myth... Technically all 7 billion of us could live within the border of Texas, probably not very comfortably, we also have enough technology and resources to develop sustainable farm land for many generations to come. Over population is a threat but only to generations long after us.

Stable uncorrupted democratic Middle East

Interstellar travel.

puts on Miss Universe face World Peace!

i am a music lover, so my music

A cure for cancer

How about an eraser that can actually do its job instead of just making the mistake paler.

There is far too much scientific research going on that I am simply not smart enough to comprehend. Any number of things like that are extremely important that I'd love to see accomplished. Unfortunately, my answer is limited by what I know, so I am going to have to go with worldwide legalization of all drugs.

@Mike_Hawk Git oudda hea, Fuzala! I thought I convinced you that legalization was a good idea.

first
http://www.amirite.com/761328-o...-it-in-another

not for worldwide
that's pushin' it
drug cartels aren't rampant in Saudi Arabia or Bangladesh or maybe Japan etc.

all drugs
that's also pushin' it
not all drugs are as "tame" as weed

and I'm still anti-drug

I'd also be for a gradual prohibition
instead of the cold turkey version the US has set up

@fuzala first http://www.amirite.com/761328-o...ually-implemen...

Drugs cartels aren't rampant in Saudi Arabia or Bangladesh because those aren't the only places that provide a market place. If any market closes up, the cartels will move elsewhere. We need to shut off ALL supply.

The "tame"ness of a drug is irrelevant. Keeping them illegal only makes them more dangerous and more available. Legalization is the best option, no contest. The safer option can't be ignored just because it feels morally wrong to legalize drugs. That's silly.

Worldwide. All drugs. Full legalization.

@Mike_Hawk Drugs cartels aren't rampant in Saudi Arabia or Bangladesh because those aren't the only places that provide a...

hmm
I wonder what would happen if drug cartels did decide to move newer interrogatories

I'm almost positive it wouldn't have the same kind of success
that goes back to my post about laws that I commented before

places have different mentalities
different cultures
different laws
and different people

also
tameness is relevant because many governments see it as their jobs to protect the people
maybe not all of them but many of them do

which brings me to
safer option?
definitely room for argument there
is that really what will protect people?
http://www.policechiefmagazine....issue_id=32005

@fuzala hmm I wonder what would happen if drug cartels did decide to move newer interrogatories I'm almost positive it...

It would probably turn out really bad. The United States has the advantage of a heavily armed populace to keep cartels outside of our borders. Not many countries in the world can compete with how armed we are, and cartels would walk in and be able to set up shop really easily. The drug industry is worth billions of dollars; it's pretty easy to get anything you want with that kind of money.

I somewhat disagree with the "different people" thing. Most humans are pretty much the same. I don't believe there is a realistic scenario in which it is a bad idea to legalize drugs.

It's not the Government's job to protect the people. Maybe in other countries, but not in the United States. Here, the Government is an employee of the people. Their job is to do whatever we say. If we want to lead ourselves down a destructive path, it is their duty to make it happen.

That link was a bunch of opinions that I can't find any solid reasoning for. If the opinions of police matter to you, you should check out this organization: http://www.leap.cc/about/why-legalize-drugs/

It's an organization of police officers, prosecutors, judges, etc. all for legalization.

@Mike_Hawk It would probably turn out really bad. The United States has the advantage of a heavily armed populace to keep...

America's government is to protect people too
why else does it have driving laws and a military?

people have the right to be protected by laws and by the government

http://www.ibtimes.com/pros-con...tion-us-246712

there are also other solutions that have been proposed
http://www.csmonitor.com/Commen...of-criminality

"Their job is to do whatever we say. If we want to lead ourselves down a destructive path, it is their duty to make it happen."

See, I don't agree with that at all. I can understand your reasoning with the drug thing (even if I don't entirely agree), but that is terrible policy. Knowingly making bad decisions for the country just because people (who may not have the full story) ask for it? There are enough social issues as it is...

@JollyOle "Their job is to do whatever we say. If we want to lead ourselves down a destructive path, it is their duty to make...

It's not your place to disagree. That's what it is. The Government is an employee of the People. Employees do what the employer tells them. You're free to dislike how it works, but that is how it works. Or that's how it should work. The people have forgot this and allowed the Government to act without restraint.

@Mike_Hawk It's not your place to disagree. That's what it is. The Government is an employee of the People. Employees do what...

That's not necessarily how it works. The founding fathers set up government the way it is instead of a pure democracy because they were afraid of what you're describing, which I believe people called "mob rule." Like fuzala said, the government was meant to protect America's people and interests. Listening to what the People want is a big part but not the only part.

Besides, the US is so big and diverse now, how do you even decide which "people" to cater to? The majority? The ones with the most money? The most outspoken? You shut out major percentages of the population whatever way you choose.

I thought of something

since America has a really strong defense
why don't the cartels bugging America move on to nations with weaker defense?

@fuzala I thought of something since America has a really strong defense why don't the cartels bugging America move on to...

Where are they going to go? All of South America is already owned by the cartels or useless for profit. America is their only target unless they want to try moving product halfway around the world.

@fuzala wouldn't that mean global legalization isn't necessary?

United States/Canada legalization would force the cartels to either leave and go elsewhere in the world or shut down entirely. They have many billions of dollars, so I wouldn't say going elsewhere is impossible. It's just not worth it currently due to the profits and ease of access in the United States.

@fuzala how did they get ease of access in the US?

Because they're right below us and the border is kind of a joke,

@Mike_Hawk Because they're right below us and the border is kind of a joke,

I was thinking since the defense is so strong
that access would be limited

@fuzala I was thinking since the defense is so strong that access would be limited

The defense only really prevents them from taking over like they did South of the border. They can still do business here relatively freely.

@Mike_Hawk The defense only really prevents them from taking over like they did South of the border. They can still do...

I don't understand

how can they get away with it so freely when it's illegal in a place with a great defense?

can't the defense stop cartels from having so much freedom in the first place?

@fuzala I don't understand how can they get away with it so freely when it's illegal in a place with a great defense?...

Because dealing drugs isn't a particularly violent activity. Many people WANT drugs and will gladly accept the business.

Being run by a cartel is a violent thing, though, and there's no way we would stand for it.

Let's look at murder rates. The highest murder rate in the continental United States is 11.2 murders per 100,000 people, with a national average of close to 4.5. Mexico's highest murder rate is 111 murders, with a national average of about 13.

As you can see, Mexico is significantly more violent, almost solely due to the cartels. We wouldn't tolerate any of that if they came up here.

@Mike_Hawk Because dealing drugs isn't a particularly violent activity. Many people WANT drugs and will gladly accept the...

did not think of it like that

I always assumed people in the US were murdered by cartels too

so what does legalization do?
since US defense is strong and cartels can't take over
doesn't that mean legalization isn't necessary?

Singularity.

America to get a better president PLEASE

New world order

Tougn to chose. Who said there's nothing wrong with this world that a miracle couldn't set straight?

Hover boards

Hoverboards