+48

A mind is a fire to be kindled, not a vessel to be filled.

Image for post A mind is a fire to be kindled, not a vessel to be filled.
Jamess avatar Life
0 11

Filling the vessel of your mind with knowledge, wisdom, love, passion, and what ever else your heart desires is kindling the fire. I'm not picking up on the distinction, can you explain the difference between a mind that's a fire you kindle and a mind that's a vessel to fill? I have a very vague idea of what you're talking about, but it's very vague and I'm not sure if I'm picking up what you're layin' down.

@Frank_n_Furter Filling the vessel of your mind with knowledge, wisdom, love, passion, and what ever else your heart desires is...

When seen as a vessel, it's more like you're absorbing facts and information, while when seen as a fire, you try to keep yourself burning; sparking interests, making your own connections, and finding information for yourself more independently and getting something from it.

@Watchful_questioneer When seen as a vessel, it's more like you're absorbing facts and information, while when seen as a fire, you try to...

I think its things like the sponge or or membrane that passes actual matter through osmosis. Metaphysicaly I think the brain as a vessel would make about as much sense as it being a fire. Fire breaks down matter and does something much like evaporate it, like atmospheric diffusion would do to some liquid in a vessel. Now if you put a lid on the vessel you have yourself your full jar, always. But if you put one on a fire it'll burn up. Or if the fire is in a vessel, it'll go out whence the lid is topped. If not the vessel gets really hot and you'll surely drop your brain like a hot potato, or pass it. I think people who can't think for themselves have vessels, and people fixate on certain concepts until they are reduced by thought to meaningless ash have fires. But ideally

BEAR WITH ME HERE. Ideally, metaphysically, and quite literally, I think the mind is like an electrochemical prismatic light and sound reactive reflecting matrix that wherever it presents a facet to a source of information the overlapping fluxuation of energy creates a resounding wavelength of energy which we call consciousness.

@TaNtricLuNarMoNkey3 I think its things like the sponge or or membrane that passes actual matter through osmosis. Metaphysicaly I think...

You have the most awesome metaphors. I agree with you on the whole "destroying matter" thing, but I interpret it as more of being fueled by information to be active, while the information isn't really lost, but interpreted by fire, in a way.

@Watchful_questioneer You have the most awesome metaphors. I agree with you on the whole "destroying matter" thing, but I interpret it as...

I see what you mean, and thanks:) I just like to pick at metaphors a lot. The fire one us interesting, especially when you consider altered or heightened states of consciousness, like wildfire

I guess that makes sense. I see the difference now. But when I view the mind as being a vessel and filling up with facts, I think about how the brain has a LOT of storage, but it's still limited. It can only hold so much, even if it's a lot. It makes new connections but loses old one. So you're taking things out and putting more in. And I see it as a fire too, finding information and getting more from it. I don't think it's one or the other, I think the analogy works for both.

only genius has the ability to light it's own fire

@magicmarker2112 only genius has the ability to light it's own fire

And how would you know that? I'm pretty sure anyone can spark an idea and no one can conceive something from nothing

On the semantics of exactly what one elemental thing the brain is on one the many invented metaphysical planes, I disagree. But on the point that you have to nurture the delicate and complex functions of your brain and constantly refine your ever changing neural pathways to have a good mind, I do agree.

If anything I would say the mind is like a constantly vibrating quasidemensional etch-n-sketch. Except not everything can be erased, some of it has been there so long its stuck. But a lot of the rest you must reaffirm or revise consistently.