+25

If government schools worked, then ALL politicians (including our President) would send THEIR children to them. Amirite?

I am providing 3 links for anyone's viewing. I was an educator for 7 years, and knew full well then that most politicians and teachers send their children to private schools. That is the REAL proof of what they believe and feel about the public schools. I asked several public school educators why they stayed in the public arena if they did not truly believe in it. Answer? THE MONEY. I taught in a private school and made about one third of what public school teachers made.

Image for post If government schools worked, then ALL politicians (including our President) would send THEIR children to them.    Amirite?
freespeechfreelancers avatar Education
0 9
The voters have decided that freespeechfreelancer is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

But if both worked then some would send their kids to private and some would send their kids to public, which is the case isn't it?

@TheBlindMan But if both worked then some would send their kids to private and some would send their kids to public, which is...

More DO than DON'T. They are convinced their children can get a BETTER education in a private school than in a public. That is the point.

@freespeechfreelancer More DO than DON'T. They are convinced their children can get a BETTER education in a private school than in a...

Which isn't technically true. I went to a private school, and although I found it easier to learn the material being taught to us, when I transferred to a public school, the levels of education were far more different and I even found it hard to keep up at first. There are actually a fair amount of public schools that have better education than some private schools, to be honest.

Orangiess avatar Orangies Yeah You Are 0Reply
@Orangies Which isn't technically true. I went to a private school, and although I found it easier to learn the material...

i don't mind being honest or fair. I am going off stats when I was a teacher. I would have to do some current research to see where it is at today. The best way is to check the TESTING results and scores - but many public schools have done away with testing and using scores as a measure of learning. Letter grades have actually been eliminated in some schools and PASS / FAIL is issued. The overall trend that is popular in public education right now is making everyone feel equal and good about themselves. Another variable is that it does vary from state to state and school to school. But the biggest overall point and issue in education is that many parents would love to send their children to private schools but simply can not afford it. So they are stuck sending their children to the local school of their district/neighborhood. Typically, if you are in a decent neighborhood, you get a decent school. If you are in a poor or run down neighborhood, you get a similar school. And then there was that wonderful thing called desegregation which implemented busing students from one side of town to another side to mix things up and give everyone an "equal" and "fair" shot. I grew up in California and was in school during the thick of all the "experiments" educators were playing with us. And frankly, from a student's perspective, having lived it, the only thing I saw that busing accomplished was racial tension and more division. I was in Jr. High and High school in the 70's, and saw fights every single day in school. All racial groups hung together and with their own kind. The only people who would fight one on one were whites. The blacks, Mexicans, and Asians all fought in groups and ganged up on whomever they were fighting. Guns were not popular then, but knives and razor sharp combes were. The blacks had their "cake cutters" stuck in their afros, and they would sharpen each spike so it would slice like a razor blade. I saw some very disgusting things in school.
Politicians and people of means have the advantage of putting their children in any school they choose - and that is completely "unfair" when we are talking about the overall issue and outcome. Here is a sample link of the desegregation issue.
http://school.familyeducation.c...ory/47437.html

@NoHumbug So are you advocating that segregation is instituted into public schools?

Where did I imply that? All I did was share some real life experiences that I went through and how awful it was. I am advocating CHOICE in education and allowing parents to do as they see fit and best for their children. I do not believe that government knows best or has the answers when it comes to running things. If the present scandals that are being witnessed right now within this administration are not waking people up and opening some eyes, then I don't know what it will take. People who can not be trusted and who make corruption a regular part of their lives, have no business telling US how to live or educating our children. I think free people can do a better job than a controlling corrupt government any day.

"the only thing I saw that busing accomplished was racial tension and more division"

By saying that, it seems to me that you're saying desegregation only brought about negative effects.

@NoHumbug "the only thing I saw that busing accomplished was racial tension and more division" By saying that, it seems to...

How's that? As a teenager, living and going through it, that IS how it appeared to me. I made the comment as a reflective thought. Since I was sharing a real life story, I was telling it the way it came across to me back then. So how does that imply what you said?