+27

Tattoos are a form of personal expression and [whether or not you like or approve of them] should not be cause for discrimination amirite?

I don't think people should be discriminated against ever for anything, even if they elect to put art on their bodies.

Image for post Tattoos are a form of personal expression and [whether or not you like or approve of them] should not be cause for discrimination amirite?
notjustanothergirls avatar Health, Beauty & Fitness
0 17
The voters have decided that notjustanothergirl is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Many companies make you "hide" them and cover up with extra clothing. That is totally ridiculous and would seem un-Constitutional - since everything else is. I am surprised there are not more lawsuits over such, but since Politicians are not big tattoo fans, then it is not something they care to mess with. Maybe that would be the next LOBBY group to look in to. Form a non-profit organization and open up to the public for name suggestions. I will start off with Tattoo Totin' Thugs or TTT for short. I think there are enough people in this country with tattoos who would jump on the band wagon. Everyone who has ever been discriminated against for having a tattoo could then file a lawsuit on the basis of their free speech rights being violated (tattoos are body art and art is protected under free speech). Lawyers would show their usual greed and be glad to step up and take the cases. If the court system got flooded with cases, and enough media got on board, SOMETHING could actually be done to change the whole outlook.

I agree - and they are. No matter how beautiful they are they are a source of discrimination for hiring in many industries. It is sad but peope need to be aware that getting a visible tattoo can effect their ability to get a job (in certain industries.)

VicZincs avatar VicZinc Yeah You Are +1Reply

As it is right now (and for the past four years), it's difficult for me to get a job, and my mom tells me that I'll never get a good job if I have tattoos and piercings. I figure that when I have more visible tattoos, it's not going to be any different than it is now, just that there is a visible reason as to why I'm not getting a job.

So far though, most of the places I've applied to in-store have employees with visible tattoos, so I don't see much of a problem, yet.

I don't think that it's completely about discrimination in some cases. In retail, you have to deal with a lot of crazy people who get offended extremely easily. For some reason, a lot of people have a serious problem with tattoos, and the chance of losing business due to an employee with a visible tattoo isn't worth it to many employers.

I agree that it is personal and stuff but like if you want to become a police man and you have a gang tattoo on your face discrimination is okay

@Izzie_23 I agree that it is personal and stuff but like if you want to become a police man and you have a gang tattoo on...

Discrimination is never okay. If a person becomes a police man and has a gang tattoo on their face, that is most likely in the past and barely has any relation to the job whatsoever. The thought you just said that is sickening. Body art or any form of changing your body for that matter has literally nothing to do with someone's job, it's the skills. People don't hire anyone with body art or piercings literally because of 'image'. They don't want to scare off people who think an employee with a mermaid tattoo stretching across their back is a criminal. Seriously...

Orangiess avatar Orangies Yeah You Are 0Reply
@Orangies Discrimination is never okay. If a person becomes a police man and has a gang tattoo on their face, that is most...

I think it's perfectly okay to be wary around people with legitimate gang tattoos. Gangs tend not to be an "in the past" thing. There's the very real possibility that they may be murderers. Also, it's not unheard of for gang members to join the police or military and use the training to teach the gang to be more effective killers.

@Mike_Hawk I think it's perfectly okay to be wary around people with legitimate gang tattoos. Gangs tend not to be an "in the...

I think Orangies was trying to say that you can come out of the gang and go on to becoming a better human being - but the gang tattoo will always be there (unless removed of course). Many people get tats to "mark" or commemorate events or times in their lives of significance. They "wear" their life so to speak. Most of them can tell you the date, time, and where they were when they got the tat - and the meaning behind it.

Being wary of someone and discriminating against someone are two completely different things. I wasn't so much trying to make my point of 'that person was in a gang, who cares?', but rather I was angered when she said 'discrimination is okay.' As someone who has been discriminated against, I found that both utterly offensive and ridiculous.

Although I do understand what you mean, people in my family have been in gangs and some have joined the ROTC or actual Military, and have bettered themselves. Besides, would someone be as stupid as to actually join the police with a gang tattoo, planning on using those techniques to teach the rest of the gang? If they were... I don't know what to say to that.

@Orangies Being wary of someone and discriminating against someone are two completely different things. I wasn't so much...

Im sorry I just reread what I wrote and realized how bad it sounds. But what I still meant is that it is acceptable that you our tattoo are refused for a job if your tattoo goes against the principles of the job
Like my example of before A facial tattoo that represents a gang. The person could be reformed and want to do good (In that case they can get it removed) Or they could still be part of the gang and get info from the inside and help the gang.
I understand that discrimination is never good yet it still happens for a reason either its someone thoughts and opinion or because they think it may do more harm than goo

@Izzie_23 Im sorry I just reread what I wrote and realized how bad it sounds. But what I still meant is that it is acceptable...

That is a bit clearer. Another example might be a kindergarten teacher with a swastika tattoo in his face. You might not want to hire that person unless they had it removed.