+47

People seem to care significantly more about the fictional worlds of books and TV shows than the actual world around them.

Mike_Hawks avatar Animals & Nature
0 18

That's because this world severly lacks dragons.

@ItsATrap That's because this world severly lacks dragons.

The real world also sucks. At least you can pretend to defeat fictional dragons. Real problems are much more complicated and difficult to face.

@BetterThanEzra1119 The real world also sucks. At least you can pretend to defeat fictional dragons. Real problems are much more...

Fending off dragons is much more appealing than facing unpleasant people. You could eventually encounter Mushu.

it's probably because the fictional may be more entertaining because a lot of the "boring stuff" is cut out

it's faster paced usually
they get right to the "good stuff"

@fuzala it's probably because the fictional may be more entertaining because a lot of the "boring stuff" is cut out it's...

The real world is hardly boring. What with all the murder, rape, robbery, kid-napping, etc. It's hardly justifiable to think that nothing "interesting" is going on. There are so many problems that need solving, and that could easily BE solved if everyone didn't bury their heads in fictitious universes. There's the secrets of the Universe to uncover. Fictional stories don't tell you ANYTHING about the real world. As life-forms, we started with nothing. We somehow managed to actually figure out what everything is made of and how things work. Things we can't see and can barely measure, and we've managed to figure it out. It's the most exciting thing in the world!

The real world is "boring" because people are trapped in the fictional ones.

@Mike_Hawk The real world is hardly boring. What with all the murder, rape, robbery, kid-napping, etc. It's hardly justifiable...

of course the real world isn't boring
but the boring parts aren't cut out as much

you gotta deal with all of it in the real world

I put certain words in quotation marks to show that those are things I hear

shows rip off real life events
and dramatize them

fiction stems from things in reality
we don't have the ability to make something out of nowhere

moderation is key here

It's far better to live in the fictional world, where literally everything ends well (most of the time), rather than reality where stuff has problems... I prefer staying in my room doing nothing, rather than pretending to be a wizard in Harry Potter, though...

@Orangies It's far better to live in the fictional world, where literally everything ends well (most of the time), rather...

Consider that things end shitty in this world BECAUSE people are too preoccupied with their fantasies while letting this world fall to ruin.

@Mike_Hawk Consider that things end shitty in this world BECAUSE people are too preoccupied with their fantasies while letting...

Hence why I don't like living in the real world or the fantasy world, but rather in my own world where people can shut their faces and leave me alone. But then again, there were times where fantasy became reality and turned out to be good... I guess...

The OP left out video games - which probably occupy the time and minds of youth moreso than T.V. watching and book reading combined. The games have become so "real" that many have become addicted to them and don't want to "come out." Avatars have replaced reality.

I hate my life so I turn to books & enjoy the character's point of view on life & end up forgetting about mine.

@coolstory I hate my life so I turn to books & enjoy the character's point of view on life & end up forgetting about mine.

Hating your life is not healthy. Is there anything you can possibly do to help change it somewhat?

@freespeechfreelancer Hating your life is not healthy. Is there anything you can possibly do to help change it somewhat?

Maybe they should find something in life to enjoy. A hobby or a passion. Like reading books.

HEY I THINK I'M ON TO SOMETHING HERE.

Don't worry about it, with that, there comes a long story. I rather not give details.

@1944292

Have you ever read anything about or studied the Pygmy peoples? I read about them in a National Geographic magazine years ago and they are fascinating.