Is it worse to have parents that don't love you, or no parents that have loved you?

48% Have Parents That Don't Love You 41% Have No Parents, But Did Love You 11% Other
Orangiess avatar Religion
1 13

If they don't love you then they'll most likely pay no attention to you, so it'll be just like having no parents. At least if you lost your parents, you'll know that they loved you and know what it's like to be loved.

Reminds me of that saying, "It's better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all."

BlindMists avatar BlindMist Have Parents That Don't Love You +6Reply
BlindMists avatar BlindMist Have Parents That Don't Love You 0Reply
@BlindMist It is red.

I mean shouldn't it be orange?

same thing with the other post about friends that secretly dislike

@fuzala I mean shouldn't it be orange? same thing with the other post about friends that secretly dislike

No. I had them both orange at first, but then re-read the posts. They don't say which one I would rather have, they say which one is worse.

@fuzala OHHHHHHHHHH

Yeah. Guess they both should've been worded differently. By some of the comments on the other post, seems that others are a bit mixed up as well.

dont worry.. u r precious!
you are loved :)

@dont worry.. u r precious! you are loved :)

I wasn't really relating it to my life, but thank you anyways.

Orangiess avatar Orangies Have Parents That Don't Love You 0Reply

Having parents that don't love you are better than no parents sometimes because you still have the benefits. If they were rich you could just spend the money you wanted while they ignored you. You don't always need love from your parents. Besides there is always friends and people that love you.

Lauraladybugs avatar Lauraladybug Have Parents That Don't Love You 0Reply
@Lauraladybug Having parents that don't love you are better than no parents sometimes because you still have the benefits. If...

Money isn't everything. Having your parents ignore you isn't good for your development. They wouldn't care about anything you do, no matter how many times you try and impress them. They probably wouldn't even care enough about you to get angry if you do something stupid. They wouldn't care enough to make rules in the house, leaving you to go out in the world and think you can do what you want.

At least if they were dead, you'll know that they went to their grave loving you. A close family member could probably adopt you.

Maybe even if you go to an orphanage, you would still have a bit of hope that someone would adopt you. But, if your parents constantly disappoint you and let you know that they don't love you, then there's no hope that they'll ever love you.

BlindMists avatar BlindMist Have Parents That Don't Love You +3Reply

"You don't always need love from your parents."

That's just not true and really naive. There was a psychological study done once where baby monkeys were put in a cage with fake mothers, one made of metal that had a milk dispenser and one made of soft terrycloth but no milk dispenser. The monkeys ended up ignoring the cold hard mother with the food in favor of the "soft" mother that could cuddle them. This can be applied to humans. We're group mammals and we have a literal need for affection. If you don't get that from your parents or whoever your primary caregiver is as a child, you grow up with some serious problems.

I would go home and kiss my primary caregiver if I was you because it sounds like you don't appreciate them or their love enough if you think it's so unnecessary.

JollyOles avatar JollyOle Have Parents That Don't Love You +1Reply

disengaged parents usually have severe detrimental influences on child's development that can leave permanent damage

you said
"Besides there is always friends and people that love you"
that idea still applies with dead parents

but you have the added bonus of the idea that your parents loved you

plus,
they're gonna die eventually