+4

It'd be cool if your life could have parts that were non-canon, as in there is a day in your life where any promises, to yourself or anyone else, made can be freely broken along with traditions and such, amirite?

I just imagine having a day set a side where things don't matter morally as much or something. I personally do not curse, but on non-canon day I might swear here and there and I always wear or bring a sweatshirt to school no matter what and on non-canon day I might skip the sweatshirt. I'm kind of thinking in terms of having a wiki page and on the trivia section it's like "He states on October 4th, 2009 that he always visits Best Buy after school on wednesdays, but 3 Wednesdays later he skips it, though this might be considered non-canon."... idk I think it's a cool concept. It's something to make you think that isn't relating to the front page of the news or religion or something.

Canon (fiction) - Wikipediahttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_(fiction)
Skr3wBalls avatar Health, Beauty & Fitness
0 38
The voters have decided that Skr3wBall is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

You are free to do those things now. The only person stopping you is you. You can break or go against anything that you have been conditioned to be or believe. If you choose to have a "non-canon" day, then that is up to you.

I've always wondered something

why don't you curse?

I don't either
but I wanted to know your reason(s)

@fuzala I've always wondered something why don't you curse? I don't either but I wanted to know your reason(s)

I don't see a reason to. They're labelled as bad, why would I associate myself with that.

Skr3wBalls avatar Skr3wBall Yeah You Are +1Reply
@Skr3wBall I don't see a reason to. They're labelled as bad, why would I associate myself with that.

Does something being "labelled" as bad, actually make it bad? I was taught that certain words were never to be said and I have decided words are words are words. If some are acceptable, then all are acceptable. If certain groups of people decide to put labels of negativity on some words and say they are off limits, then essentially they have decided what is right and wrong or best for EVERYONE.

@freespeechfreelancer Does something being "labelled" as bad, actually make it bad? I was taught that certain words were never to be said...

Yeah they have, I'm not going to disrespect a majority by cursing when most people consider it bad. If it were one person then I would decide for myself. I know an anti-theist so he this religion shouldn't exist, but I still appreciate it since he's one person. My school doesn't want dress code broken so I don't break it since they're more than me. Certain groups of people think murder is wrong, they decided that moral for everyone, I'm not going to kill people.

Skr3wBalls avatar Skr3wBall Yeah You Are 0Reply
@Skr3wBall Yeah they have, I'm not going to disrespect a majority by cursing when most people consider it bad. If it were one...

Not most people - most Christians (or so called Christians). I grew up in that context and culture and know it all too well. They decided everything for me and told me what I could and could not do. That is my one gripe with raising children in a religious context. The children are never allowed to choose for themselves, therefore they never learn how to think or express themselves. At some point you will be able to choose for yourself. I will not try to tell you to rebel or tell those over you to get lost, but you must still decide every issue for yourself. You can not just go by what is expected or demanded of you.

@freespeechfreelancer Not most people - most Christians (or so called Christians). I grew up in that context and culture and know it all...

Not just Christians, and I can choose for myself already and I choose not to curse. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_dirty_words
You don't have to be Chrisitian to avoid saying these words out of respect for kids and the elderly and anyone who is offended by that kind of language. There is absolutely no point in expletives. I find it funny when it's used excessively for comedic purposes or under someones breath also for comedic purposes, but otherwise I think cursing is just plain stupid. I have a moral code, which means I won't pirate movies or video games, won't curse in front of people and never do things for the sake of doing it unless it's short term.

@Skr3wBall Not just Christians, and I can choose for myself already and I choose not to curse...

That is great and perfectly fine. As long as you know why you do what you do, that is what I was driving at. I was conditioned from the time I was a baby, to be and do what I was told. I was never allowed to decide anything for myself. My parents knew everything and were always right. I could not decide what to wear, what I wanted to listen to, where I could go for pleasure, or anything. They decided every aspect of my life.
I think when children are little, guidelines are a great thing. But carrying on the total control through teen age years and never allowing any freedom or decision making is simply wrong.
I choose to curse when I feel it necessary. There are times when a curse word is appropriate for the occasion. And saying a curse word is not "damning" or "sinful," as I was conditioned to believe. They are just words. The Christian community as a whole can not answer why saying such words ever became evil or sinful. I remember asking my dad a hundred times why the word "ass" was in the Bible but I was not allowed to say it. And that is my point. It is totally a joke to single out a set of words and say they are WRONG, while all other words are RIGHT.

@freespeechfreelancer That is great and perfectly fine. As long as you know why you do what you do, that is what I was driving at. I was...

I think swear words are not favorable among many
because they are seen as offensive and obscene

such a view
of course
depends on perspective

for example,
think indecent exposure in public

indecent exposure can be see as offensive to the sense of sight

and swearing can be seen as offensive to the sense of hearing

the connotations of swear words sound very harsh in my ears

I think language has such a beautiful variety of words
and that swear words do not really add to the vocabulary in a positive way

@fuzala I think swear words are not favorable among many because they are seen as offensive and obscene such a view of...

And who made it "offensive?" God? I don't think so. The early Master artists all did NUDE paintings. Christians today call that pornographic. It was art in its truest, purest, and simplest form. You do know that Adam & Eve were created naked. And yes, they were covered after disobeying God, but that did not make the naked body evil. Words are only words. They carry the meaning WE ascribe to them. If I want to say shit to express something, I say it. I keep in mind children and old people, but many children say far more than I ever will. It truly is a matter of perspective, but I hate seeing God blamed for everything people decide to call wrong or that "HE" does not approve of.

@freespeechfreelancer And who made it "offensive?" God? I don't think so. The early Master artists all did NUDE paintings. Christians...

there are many who are irreligious and find it offensive too

this is how I think about it
we view certain people as ugly and beautiful

the same goes for words
some words sound ugly
and some sound beautiful

different societies have different norms

in some societies
walking around butt naked is no big deal

in some societies
it is a huge deal and illegal

this is part of our social construction

another example is that a toddler can walk around naked with no problem
but an adult cannot do so

that is the social norm where I am at
maybe not so for other places

I think this goes back to social construction

societies follow unique and not so unique codes that are not always shared by other societies

you know what I mean?

for indecent exposure
I don't think the body is evil
but I do think certain parts of it are private

@fuzala there are many who are irreligious and find it offensive too this is how I think about it we view certain people...

I know exactly what you mean, but my point is - just because societies differ, Americanized or Christianized views are NOT the ONLY pervasive views, nor should they be. Do you honestly think God is thinking that because Americans have certain traditions and societal codes that they are superior or more correct than those of jungle peoples? Is a loin cloth less pleasing to God than a 3 piece suit? Is the jungle woman's breasts showing offensive to God as opposed to a woman in full Islamic dress or skirt and bra in America? IT IS PEOPLE who have made all these distinctions - therefore they are self imposed and can be broken. Customs are NOT God made.
Most of what I was taught as being what "God" thought, said, or wanted was NOT God at all. It was what men and women SAID God wanted. The ONLY command God gave regarding language was to NOT take His name in vain. That is HIS WORD on the matter.
So whether I choose to say "shit" "poop" "dung" "crap" "feces" "excrement" "dump" "turd" OR any other word I may think of - they are all just words.
And because CERTAIN people find things offensive as a basis for NOT doing certain things - that is the biggest trap of all. You will become a slave to religious and outside people for life by living to please others. I have made perfectly civil posts on this site - only to "offend" some. People can be offended AT and BY anything. So I reject the offending others argument.

@freespeechfreelancer I know exactly what you mean, but my point is - just because societies differ, Americanized or Christianized views...

I agree that people can be offended by anything
but it doesn't always hurt to take people's offense into account

for example,
if my friend doesn't like loud music
I will turn it down for her to be courteous

my other friend curses like a sailor
but she tones it down in front of me
I never ever asked her to do so
but she does this on her own
maybe she does it subconsciously
I don't know exactly why she does it
it was something I noticed but didn't ask about

you don't curse in front of the elderly and children

as social creatures
we make compromises for each other because each individual has a different idea of what's offensive and what is pleasing

it really depends though
if someone finds my headscarf offensive
(as in me wearing one at all)
I don't compromise on that

but with things like turning down music
I will go out of my way to not offend someone

@fuzala I agree that people can be offended by anything but it doesn't always hurt to take people's offense into...

So if I told you that your Burka offended me, you would stop wearing it? No, you would insist your religious right to do so. I would never ask you to do such a thing, but hopefully you see my point. I don't believe for a second that God or Allah has a specific dress attire that pleases or displeases Him. I went through all of that in my church circles. It is all man made. If people in Christian circles truly wanted to imitate Jesus, they would dress like He did today. None of them do because if was a cultural/location dress style. I was raised and taught that men could never have long hair, women could not wear pants, you could not attend a Hollywood movie, could not listen to modern music, could not go to a beach and participate in "mixed" swimming.............and on and on and on the list goes. All of those things are man made rules/laws. Most religions are NOT following the teachings of their writings. They have been manipulated to follow a man made version of what the writings say. And any of us ARE FREE to break away from the man made aspect of such.
I could say I don't like your hair color, the style of shoes you wear, etc. If you are living to please people and not offend them, then you are at their every whim. I had a man in church one time tell me that it offended him that I wore WHITE SOCKS! At the time, I was ignorant enough to play along. Today I would tell him to go pound sand!

@freespeechfreelancer So if I told you that your Burka offended me, you would stop wearing it? No, you would insist your religious right...

I don't mindlessly do everything someone says

for example,
in my last comment
I said:

"it really depends though
if someone finds my headscarf offensive
(as in me wearing one at all)
I don't compromise on that

but with things like turning down music
I will go out of my way to not offend someone"

I'm not living to please people
(my goal is to please God)
but I do try to be sensitive to people's feelings
as well as try to be respectful and courteous

I also know I would appreciate the same things

it's not about pleasing people
it's about promoting peace within the community
I like getting along with others
and take actions accordingly
as long as it is within reason
and as long as it does not contradict my beliefs

I don't tell people to not wear this or that
and things like that

@fuzala I don't mindlessly do everything someone says for example, in my last comment I said: "it really depends...

And again, I ask, WHO's reason? What is YOUR guide or final decision maker? Your feelings, your belief, your preference OR the one who wishes you not to offend them? You may not mindlessly do everything someone says, but if they truly tell you that your music, food, appearance or whatever IS in fact offensive to THEM, then you CAN and ARE offending them - even when you claim you are trying to be respectful or reasonable.
And yes, your whole argument is based on pleasing and getting along with PEOPLE - not God. I can say or do many things that I don't believe offends God in the least, but will in fact, offend somebody.

@freespeechfreelancer And again, I ask, WHO's reason? What is YOUR guide or final decision maker? Your feelings, your belief, your...

that's why I said within reason

and my argument is being courteous and respectful
not about pleasing people

you can disagree with someone while remaining courteous and respectful

also
you can't tell me what is my intention
I know my intention
but other people can't read my mind to know why I do what I do

I don't do it just to please people
I do it to be respectful

whether you believe me or not is another story

I don't want to offend a majority. Bad word is a name for a curse word. Curses are bad in terms of jinx and such. It's well known that profanity is a bad thing, so saying it is acknowledging I could be directly disrespecting someone. Some people have phobias of lizards, but if I have a lizard design on my shirt I'm not offending a large group of people, at least not one near me or one that has a massive effect on society. Of course anything can be offensive to certain persons, but if everyone knows it to be bad, why would you say it anyway? That's like saying bad guys in comic books were ideas THRUST upon us. YOU don't know if they're bad, THEY decided for you.

@Skr3wBall I don't want to offend a majority. Bad word is a name for a curse word. Curses are bad in terms of jinx and such...

And it is well known (as you put it) that if you belong to a certain political party, watch certain news media, read certain books, go to certain churches, etc. that YOU are offending the majority (or the perceived majority) and labelled as a right wing, conservative, Christian nut job. Do you STOP or START doing something because of the majority's view? If so, then you will now need to be in favor of abortion and gay marriage (maybe you already are) because the Supreme Court (majority Court in our land) has ruled that both are acceptable and legal.
If you even claim to be a Christian, are you not offending a majority? Outsiders see your very beliefs and practices as offensive. So you don't mind offending people at all - you only pick and choose what is an acceptable offense.
I have NEVER heard anyone say that curse words are bad as like a jinx. That is surely some man made silly logic, because it means absolutely nothing. Words like damn and hell are more religiously implied words than anything. And just because you decide NOT to use a certain word, you use others in their place. There is no difference in saying "fuck" you or "screw" you. Every word has derivatives that mean or IMPLY the exact same thing! So by not saying a certain word to keep from offending, using any form of or a synonym accomplishes the exact result as using the word itself.

@freespeechfreelancer And it is well known (as you put it) that if you belong to a certain political party, watch certain news media...

I said the word CURSE is associated with jinx, hexes, spells, black magic, darkness. And not every Christian has the same mind, and not everyone hates Christians, I don't know why you'd say having a religion is offensive to people who aren't that religion. I am a Christian and I support gay marriage and abortion choice. Euphemisms do not have the connotation, the whole point is to make it less harsh or rude, they aren't directly synonymous. It's not a matter of opinion whether bad words are bad in the dictionary they are labelled vulgar, offensive, or derogatory, it's not an idea religion or outsiders put on me, I know they're bad because I can read the New Oxford American Dictionary. If you choose to say them you're purposely being vulgar and offensive.

@Skr3wBall I said the word CURSE is associated with jinx, hexes, spells, black magic, darkness. And not every Christian has...

So if I said to you that abortion is far more offensive to me than saying shit, and that half of America finds abortion offensive, would you then be swayed to stop believing it should be allowed? My guess is no. So, my point is made - you don't mind offending many or lots of people. You just decide which group you will or will not offend.

@freespeechfreelancer So if I said to you that abortion is far more offensive to me than saying shit, and that half of America finds...

I'm not going to change my opinion for one person, so if you don't like abortion specifically, then it doesn't really matter to me. I don't get how someone can be offended by a choice anyway. My opinion doesn't affect anything, so who cares? And let me clarify, I agree with the majority of the people I'm around. I'm not near all of America, but if my entire school changed ideals or neighborhood or whatever, I might switch just to avoid ridicule. Throw as many hypotheticals at me as you want I'm sticking to my guns, you can't know if something will happen until it does.

Skr3wBalls avatar Skr3wBall Yeah You Are -1Reply
@Skr3wBall I'm not going to change my opinion for one person, so if you don't like abortion specifically, then it doesn't...

Quite frankly I don't care what you believe or practice. But you were taking me to task about a bad word, and I took you to task about your own offensiveness. That is all I was doing - making a point. ALL of us offend others - period. You can follow any group, the majority, and blend in when any idea is popular. But true moral codes don't change with the winds of popular opinion. If the majority decides that lying is perfectly acceptable, then you are free to start believing it is ok. But that does not make it ok (if your faith or God has spoken otherwise).
I did not ask you to switch anything. I said half of Americans believe that abortion is wrong and that it is murder. You support abortion, so your belief or view is offending half of the country. But that will not change your opinion. And I only cited that to show yourself that you pick and choose when and what group you will offend. You may not swear (because it offends others), but you agree with abortion (even though it offends others).
That is all I was saying - and it was NOT hypothetical. It is actual reality of who and what we are as people.

@freespeechfreelancer Quite frankly I don't care what you believe or practice. But you were taking me to task about a bad word, and I...

Disagreeing is not offending someone. There is no person directly offended by me believing abortion is okay.

@Skr3wBall Disagreeing is not offending someone. There is no person directly offended by me believing abortion is okay.

Actually, many likely are offended by exactly such an opinion, if "offended" is the right word. Maybe not, because it wouldn't be directly aimed towards them, but they may still see it as offensive that you believe so.

I personally share your current stance on abortion (only I believe in solely 1st trimester abortions due to unforeseen circumstances, as opposed to resorting to it due to irresponsibility, and for it to be done reasonably soon).

Tell me- are you actually voting on bills regarding abortion with that mentality?

@Watchful_questioneer Actually, many likely are offended by exactly such an opinion, if "offended" is the right word. Maybe not, because...

I'm not actually voting on bills. If no one knows what I vote for then I can't offend anyone. That's why I said I don't curse in front of people, I don't want to offend those in earshot. If it were a vote all of America watched I'd still go with what I think, because I think it's right. I don't think there are a lot of people who are going to feel like they've been betrayed or disgraced by me thinking what a lot of people think. Maybe disgraced, or think "How does that even make sense?", but honestly whatever. I don't make decisions based on that, I make actions based on it. If I have an opinion that is directly offensive to someone or a lot of people I'm not going to say it out loud because that's trying to disrespect someone. With cursing I don't want to take the chance of offending someone. With abortion, religion, politics, whatever I honestly do not care, I don't know anything about it so I just say whatever the people around me say.

@freespeechfreelancer I can't vote. Ask me why in private.

Oh, I was addressing Skrewball with the remark on offensive opinion, I wasn't criticizing your stance. But sure, could you message me why?

Glad you got to express your life story in the fashion of a motivational speaker or activist speaker... If you stop talking like that I'll consider it non-canon.

@Skr3wBall Glad you got to express your life story in the fashion of a motivational speaker or activist speaker... If you stop...

Not sure which way to take that comment, so I will just say "whatever." Best of wishes as you journey on the moral code.