Do you think that animals are completely free?

I've been thinking a lot about this and, personally, I think that animals are free. They have no obligations or judgments. They only follow their instinct, different from us human beings, that follow reason. So, that's the point: Do they know that they are free? And what worth the animal's freedom if they don't know that they are free? Is the idea of freedom exclusive of the rational beings?

Image for post Do you think that animals are completely free?
TV, Movies & Theatre
0 5

A bichon frise puppy cost between $700-$1000 US. So no, clearly animals are not free.

Do they have freedom in the wild and unmolested my humans? Freedom is a human construct and does not really apply to animals.
So per your explanation: the idea of freedom is exclusive to humans.

@VicZinc A bichon frise puppy cost between $700-$1000 US. So no, clearly animals are not free. Do they have freedom in...

Wouldn't ants be bound within a similar notion of freedom that we have? Certain species enslave others to work for them and care for their young. So while they may not recognize it in the same capacity as us, if they're even capable at all, they still have the contrasting existence of freedom and non-freedom.

Ants probably aren't the greatest example but they were the only animal I could think of that use slavery.

@ScottyD Wouldn't ants be bound within a similar notion of freedom that we have? Certain species enslave others to work for...

Humans cannot even agree on what it means to be "free" so it is unlikely (but possible) that ants have a concrete notion of freedom.

Not the animals from the pet store.

No. They have to find food and shelter just like all of us.