-96

If all people in the world were given an equal share of money and goods, they would all do equally well with it.

I really would like to hear discussion from posters about this. If you say NO, then tell me why. And if enough people say no, then it would seem to prove and be conclusive that there is no way to possibly have world equality or fairness.
My dad used to say that you could take a skid row bum off the street and dress him in a 3 piece suit, but you did not change HIM. You only made him look better.
So is chasing equality or a fair share for ALL really do-able, or just an illusive mirage?

Image for post If all people in the world were given an equal share of money and goods, they would all do equally well with it.
freespeechfreelancers avatar Countries & Places
1 16

Yeah, I don't think everyone would do equally well. But I do think everyone deserves the chance to do well.

JollyOles avatar JollyOle Disagree +2Reply
@JollyOle Yeah, I don't think everyone would do equally well. But I do think everyone deserves the chance to do well.

Do you feel or believe that others should be taken away from or forced to give them that chance?

@freespeechfreelancer Do you feel or believe that others should be taken away from or forced to give them that chance?

Not necessarily. LIke, I don't necessarily believe in things like overtaxing the rich in order to spend on the poor because those types of policies feel like bandaid solutions to me. I believe in investing in things like education and the like. Public services like that increase everyone's "resources" and gives them the chance to do better for themselves

JollyOles avatar JollyOle Disagree +3Reply

The answer is of course no by your definition of "well".

20 people = 20 definitions.

1 might invest and do "well" in your eyes
1 might shoot it into her arm and do "well" in her eyes
1 might give it to charity and do "well" in his eyes.

The question you are trying to ask (I think) is there any merit to redistribution of wealth?

Yes. Wealth needs to be redistributed BECAUSE people do not do equally well with it.
Some will flourish
and others will perish.

If we truly love our brothers as our selves we do not wish to see them parish.

Mark 12:28-31
John 13:34-35
Luke 10:25-37
Matthew 5:43-48
Matthew 22:34-39
Luke 6:27-38

And I say unto you, you cannot claim to love Jesus if you do not give freely of your larder to those in need.

@VicZinc The answer is of course no by your definition of "well". 20 people = 20 definitions. 1 might invest and do...

This is what I was thinking. It's hard to claim that they would all do equally well because the definition of "well" differs from person to person.

Some people are into drugs, gamble, or spend money excessively. Others may save, make good investments, or have insane luck. It just depends... Even if we have the same money, we have different wants and needs.

@Erythromania Some people are into drugs, gamble, or spend money excessively. Others may save, make good investments, or have...

Exactly! So why do so many people always talk about everyone being equal and having the same opportunities or stuff in life? Some people are totally happy doing menial things like being a janitor or chimney sweep. It fulfills and satisfies them perfectly well. They have no aspirations of ever being anything different or having fame and/or fortune.
There just seems to be this pervasive idea or attitude in society today that says we should all make a certain amount of money, drive a certain type of car, have a certain type of job, etc.

Isn't that the idea behind communism????

There have been so many people who have won the lottery and squandered it away within months. There have also been many people who were given literally nothing at the beginning of life, but made something out of themselves by being smart and using their talents. There is no way we could all be equal. We all have different good and bad qualities. If I'm not as intelligent as another guy, that guy will probably get ahead in life easier while I'll probably struggle more. And there are just some people out there who aren't hard working or strong willed enough to get ahead

Fanatics avatar Fanatic Disagree 0Reply
@Fanatic There have been so many people who have won the lottery and squandered it away within months. There have also been...

Very true. My post was to promote discussion. I personally don't agree with the statement and only put it out there because I know it is a very popular notion today. The message I am hearing is that everyone should get their fair share, all be treated the same, and all end up with the same things or results. I have never understood how that could or would work - even though in theory, it is a nice concept.

@freespeechfreelancer Very true. My post was to promote discussion. I personally don't agree with the statement and only put it out there...

It is a nice concept. That's why I don't understand how people can get worked up over equality. It's important to treat people the same, yes, but there's no way everyone is going to have a good or even fair life. People get different opportunities and are thrown into different environments from the beginning. I'm sick of hearing that its "not fair" that that kid with rich parents got a better education at a private school than that kid who grew up in a public school and got a worse education. No shit it's not fair, but that's life. You make what you want out of it with what you're given

Fanatics avatar Fanatic Disagree 0Reply

knowledge, experience, wisdom, and personality are a few determining factors

People can't manage money.. They have no respect for it.