+1

If you truly support equal rights and freedom of religion, this story should make you very upset. Amirite?

This is so blatantly offensive, and proves there is a total "over reach" towards singling out Christian symbols in society. The woman was wearing HER OWN necklace and it was on her body. Those of you who are die hard separation of church and state types, may feel this is totally warranted and justified. But put the shoe on the other foot, and now let's start telling people what tattoos they can have on their body, jewelry they can wear, and style of clothing they can wear. She no more violated anyone else's right to religion or free speech than a rapper putting down all religion or an artist putting a cross in a cup of urine and calling it "Piss Christ."
Atheists finally got their first public monument in Florida this week, and to my knowledge, nobody is fighting to have it removed. We shall see. Either we ALL have freedom of religion and speech, or we don't. None of us can support ONE side of the issue while putting down another.

‘Complete Shock’: University Staffer Tells College Student She Must Remove Christian Cross Necklace | TheBlaze.comAudrey Jarvis, a 19-year-old liberal arts major, was in for a surprise last month when she arrived to her campus job wearing a cross necklace around her neck. Why, you ask? This personal decision to wear a Christian pendant was met with a troubling reaction from her boss at...http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/07/02/complete-shock-university-staffer-tells-college-student-she-must-remove-christian-cross-necklace/
freespeechfreelancers avatar Religion
0 6
The voters have decided that freespeechfreelancer is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

I'm die hard for separation of church and state and I don't support this. I believe that state should stay out of what the church wants to do (as long as there not like, killing people) and that the church should stay out of law making-that's all separation of church and state is. Not this.

I don't know if it makes me all that upset. It was a university and as far as I know they're allowed to make whatever rules concerning dress code they want. If they want to tell teachers they can't have visible tattoos, certain clothes, then they're perfectly within their right. I'm not sure on the laws regarding religious dress code though- I do know that here, teachers aren't allowed to tell kids what religion they are (same with political party) so maybe that's a factor? I dunno. I really doubt the freshmen would be offended by her cross, but I guess I kind of understand how they wouldn't want a teacher to display that. Too much I'm unclear on to have a solid opinion for either side.

Frank_n_Furters avatar Frank_n_Furter Yeah You Are 0Reply
@freespeechfreelancer I appreciate the comment - why no vote?

I'm just not sure about my opinion about this. Initially, I'm totally against it. But I don't know of the school is privately or government owned, I do know schools can enforce a dress code but I don't know if there's a law or something protecting religious symbols from being banned by a dress code. But then again, equal rights and freedom of religion doesn't necessarily have to extend to a government scale, and it does upset me that offending people by wearing a cross is still a concern, so I vote yes.

@Frank_n_Furter I'm just not sure about my opinion about this. Initially, I'm totally against it. But I don't know of the school is...

I am glad you at least pointed out and allowed for equal rights and freedom of religion not necessarily having to extend to a government scale. If the Constitution GUARANTEES all citizens certain rights, then the government is NOT to usurp or interfere with them.

@freespeechfreelancer I am glad you at least pointed out and allowed for equal rights and freedom of religion not necessarily having to...

But it doesn't legally have to extend to anything non government. You can't go to a privately owned business or someone's house and sue because you weren't allowed to be there wearing a shirt that said "FUCK YOU YOU FUCKING FUCK" on it. But I do think that individuals should just allow people to have that freedom even if they aren't legally required to.

Here is the link to the Atheist monument. I have no problem with it whatsoever.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/...bols.html?_r=0