What prompted you to become an atheist?

How did it happen, all at once, or in steps? Was it a departure from how you were raised? Is this position firm, and if so why? Do you think atheism deserves more credit and respect regarding legal matters and other aspects of government? Agnostics are also invited to comment.

Image for post What prompted you to become an atheist?
Religion
1 21

I'm not an atheist and that picture is disrespectful and stupid.

Nothing prompted me to become an atheist. I'm an atheist because nothing has prompted me to become religious.

@1932547

Same with me, although I don't consider myself atheist.

I used to be a christian, and had never read the bible. I went to a summer camp with my buddy who was also a christian, and when I came back I decided to take the time and sit down and read the holy book. By the time I was done, I realized how many contradictions are in the bible, and asked myself, "If God is so ever loving and forgiving, than why would he let humans, for hundreds of years go in in famine, drought, and war, and do nothing about it?" I just became more of an Atheist along the way, I guess.

I just can't believe in it. I've tried, and reasearched and been to church many times, but I just can't put my heart into it. (I am agnostic)

I don't know. I went to church and stuff when I was a kid, but I guess religion is just not my thing. I just find it unbelievable or something. I don't have a problem with religious people though (unless they're intolerant of my belief or lack of belief or whatever). Actually I think a lot of religions are pretty cool. Sort of like mythology or something. I mean, how do they come up with that stuff? And I don't mean that in a bad way..

Lack of evidence.

Seeing the corruption in churches and a clear lack of evidence. Sacred texts that were written too long ago to matter to anyone with some reason.

I'm not an atheist...

I have always believed that the avatars, or incarnations, such as Shiva, which supposedly possess superpowers, are a result of exaggeration. Each time we tell a story to a friend, we exaggerate. Over 5000 years of this has evolved them from extraordinary human beings to some kind of gods. I believe in god, not deities.

Logic and reason.

Learning about other religions that existed throughout history and now, prompting me to personally reflect in my beliefs. Asking myself what makes my religion the true one against all the others.Watching a loads of youtube vids, "research", to see what the opposing side to which I was brought up in had to say. Among other stuff.

Was a gradual transition, after all was raised up in only being taught one belief system, my religious beliefs were deeply embedded. I've never heard of anyone changing their beliefs "all at once".

My beliefs are firm, in that I don't believe in the supernatural.

I went through a few things which made me question what kind of god could let such horrible stuff happen. This made me research more about the existence of a god or gods, and after seeing the contradictions and impossibilities of different religions and their gods, I became an atheist.

promises of debauchery

Wow, I would never become such an awful religion as that...

@deputydickface Atheism isn't a religion, it's a lack of one.

You know what I mean :). Anyway, atheism just isn't for me :)