-31

Do you think it's okay to force feed someone who has an eating disorder?

fuzalas avatar Life
0 23

They already have an unhealthy relationship with food, that would probably just traumatize them and make it even worse.

@Watchful_questioneer worse than dead?

I dunno. I've never had a serious eating disorder. But there are more effective ways to get them to eat than forcing them.

@Watchful_questioneer like what?

Like hospitalization and an IV and therapy.

@Frank_n_Furter Like hospitalization and an IV and therapy.

I suppose those are better options, but if they're not available, I'd go with force feeding. I interpreted the post to depict a scenario in which it was the only option, but that may not be as the post was intended.

I don't think force feeding a person with an eating disorder is a good idea. Typically the person with the eating disorder slowly made changes so their habits didn't seem so drastic to peers, family, et cetera. Reversing the disorder should be a slow process as well. They might not eat much at first, it'll take time, but forcing someone with an eating disorder to eat is one of the worst things you can do to them. I struggled with an eating disorder and once my family finally noticed that I wasn't eating and I was exercising constantly, they started to force me to eat. They'd watch me at dinner like hawks and my mom made me write down everything I ate and drank. It made me feel awful. The physical signs of an eating disorder are usually very obvious, but a lot of mental struggle is there too. Someone who is so stressed out about their weight and food to the point where they are starving themselves can't be undone over night and forcing that person to eat brings on more stress. It made me freak out about food and my weight even more.

Witty_sobs avatar Witty_sob Disagree +1Reply
@Witty_sob I don't think force feeding a person with an eating disorder is a good idea. Typically the person with the eating...

what if it's so bad
the person is dying
but the person doesn't want to die

he keeps passing out from hunger
but still afraid that eating enough will mess up the image
so when the person is passed out
inject with protein and stuff and say it's mosquito bites

I don't know even that if that's possible
but passing out so often
it might be believable
especially if he is already delusional and seeing things (because of starvation)

the post isn't that specific though
there's a huge range of situations

@fuzala what if it's so bad the person is dying but the person doesn't want to die he keeps passing out from hunger...

If they are close to death, I would take them to a hospital and let them handle it. They would know the right way to handle it without devastating the patient. There are also a lot of rehabilitation facilities specifically for people with severe eating disorders. I watched a documentary about it in my psych class.

uh
the voting options are off on this
whoops wary smilie

agree= you think it's okay
diagree= you don't think it's okay

I think other solutions would be better. Hopefully someone could talk them into eating and recovery.

I think it depends on the eating disorder and how it has affected their minds.

If they have binge eating disorder and are eating enough already, then force feeding is probably a bad thing, and would be useless.

if it's an eating disorder through which they're not getting enough food, then I think they should be force fed very lean foods at least. It's a mental thing, too, in which they're not thinking straight. If they truly want to die, then they should be left alone, but if they don't realize they're killing themselves, then they're not truly consenting to death and should be spared from it through whatever means necessary, however cruel it sounds, until they are either recovering enough from their mental disorder, or until it becomes clear that absolutely no progress has been made, and very likely that none will be made.

Do you think its okay if we starve someone who has an eating disorder?

@Helveticabun Do you think its okay if we starve someone who has an eating disorder?

is that rhetorical?

if not
of course I would not forcefully starve someone

@Helveticabun Well if that is so, then it shouldn't work the other way either.

how so?

if you look at Watchful's comment
you might save a life that wants to be saved

eating disorders are psychological
and the person isn't thinking straight

@fuzala how so? if you look at Watchful's comment you might save a life that wants to be saved eating disorders are...

Is force feeding someone to save their life okay, but starving someone to save their life not?

@Helveticabun Is force feeding someone to save their life okay, but starving someone to save their life not?

I can't think of a situation where starving someone would save him/her

starving is a tortuous road to death no matter who you are
no?

honestly
I don't know the answer to my own post
I asked because I don't know if it's okay or not

save a life
freedom of choice
I don't know which way to go

@fuzala I can't think of a situation where starving someone would save him/her starving is a tortuous road to death no...

Well, really, the only way you lose weight is by starving yourself, so that you burn more calories than you take in. Your body will start to feed on its own fat and all, and you get the picture.

Sometimes, when people are in their last stages of dying, they stop eating. Why force them to eat when they don't want to and they'll die anyway? But when the person has a lot more life than a couple days ahead of them, then we should save their life, I believe. But how we do it would be a problem. Forcing a feeding tube down their throat is an idea, but that wouldn't cure them. I guess it would depend on if they want help, if they understand that without food, they'd die, how old they are, etc. I don't really know which way to go either. It would be like saving someone from suicide, I guess that they themselves would have to decide if they want help. I would try to steer them to wanting help, and even get it for them, but I guess it's ultimatly their decision in how they want to live their life, whether it ends tomorrow or in 70 years. But I always believe you should try to help someone (but you yourself should remain healthy, so you can help them, no?) and if it doesn't work, then it just doesn't work.