Is polygamy wrong taking in consideration that we accept same sex marriages now?

Image for post Is polygamy wrong taking in consideration that we accept same sex marriages now?
Relationships
0 13

I believe that it is wrong, but that same sex marriages should be legal. Polygamy seems to be something that could easily be exploited and exploitative. Same sex marriage is a preference that a person is born with. Marrying multiple people is not a preference that someone is born with (to my knowledge).

@ChelseaFC17 I believe that it is wrong, but that same sex marriages should be legal. Polygamy seems to be something that could...

It is a preference people are born with, actually. There's people who grow up in polygamous communities who have polygamy forced on them, or see it happen so much around them they just do it themselves, too. Those people were not born like that. But then there's people who are in polygamous relationships on their own free will who report never wanting to settle down when they were a kid and dating multiple people at once when they were a teenager.

There are many cultures in different countries where polygamy or polyandry marriages are the norm. Our culture happens to be one where monogamy is the norm. In fact, only 1 in 6 societies enforce monogamy as a rule- there's a lot of debate if humans are naturally monogamous and polygamy is a weird thing that people just do because society considers it normal or if we're actually naturally polygamous and monogamy is a weird thing enforced by society. Either way, it doesn't matter- if everyone is consenting, no one outside of the relationship has the right to tell them they can't do that.

@Frank_n_Furter It is a preference people are born with, actually. There's people who grow up in polygamous communities who have...

Colebowl: I didn't know a lot about that. I was thinking a lot along the lines that someone gets married and then decides that they want to be polygamist, which would force a decision on the spouse. Or that they were just using polygamy as an excuse to have multiple relationships at once. If its known and consenting, then I think that I can maybe understand it being legal.

@ChelseaFC17 Colebowl: I didn't know a lot about that. I was thinking a lot along the lines that someone gets married and then...

I know in the Arab culture that before you get married you discuss polygamy and it's part of the marriage contract, so if your spouse chooses to have another partner that's reasons for divorce

Agree with the deciding to by polygamous would force a decision on a spouse. But as for the excuse thing, polygamy isn't an excuse for having multiple relationships at once- wanting multiple relationships at once is polygamy

Same could be said about same sex marriage
As long as all parties are consenting in the polygamous marriage then I see no problem

@Naggs Same could be said about same sex marriage As long as all parties are consenting in the polygamous marriage then I...

It's better than the alternative in some ways, and by the alternative I mean cheating. Then again, it seems like a lot of people are passive about these kind of things now. It's probably going to be like this in 140 years, "You want to marry a goat? Well, I guess it's alright as long as it's not abused"
"'It?' Doctor? SHE, she's a she! Her name is Florecita! AND WE LOVE EACH OTHER"
"Bahhh (where am I, there's no grass here)"
"SEE!"
"Hahaha, oh my apologies. I'm still part of the old ways and all. Just make sure your love doesn't cause any physical harm alright?"
"WHAT!? I could never do something like that!" Leaves
"Sigh..."
I've gotta stop letting my imagination run wild... =-=;;

how does being able to marry anyone you like get twisted into being able to marry as many people as you like?

While I don't think polygamy is wrong, and I'd be fine with multiple people marrying each other, if the marriage is simply to gain benefits from the government, I don't like it. Even now marriage simply for the benefits is wrong to me. Now, I'm not saying that you shouldn't get married because of the benefits, I'm saying you should be allowed to marry whoever you want as long as you truly love that person.

As long as all parties involved want to be involved and they're happy with it I see no problem.

@BuddyCakes As long as all parties involved want to be involved and they're happy with it I see no problem.

If parties didn't want to be involved, that would not be a polygamous marriage, that would be kidnapping.

No, it's not.