Is it acceptable to 'pollute' another country's culture with external values and scientific theory?

I came to Georgia from the Uk to teach English language in public schools, but found that actually, most of my job is really about social change and bringing my western values and beliefs to the future generations of Georgian children. There are many things I love about Georgian culture, many things I hate, but how do I encourage change in the places where I as an individual want change, but keep the values that I love? Where does my job as an English teacher start and end? I have to equip children to work with foreigners in the future, which means they need a whole new set of social rules on what is acceptable outside of Georgia. I feel powerful to bring about change in such vulnerable people, but how do I know that I am not doing harm or damaging their society, where is the line? Is it even my job to educate them in this way? Is it good to shake up their beliefs and systems or am I just setting out to make them miserable in the long run?

Image for post Is it acceptable to 'pollute' another country's culture with external values and scientific theory?
Language
0 2

pollute is a bad word to use. Also, added input from any source of stimuli only helps civilizations grow......it is how they choose to grow that often brings discontent.

Just so you know, the US, including Georgia, is Western... You wouldn't be bringing them Western culture, they already are apart of that, you'd be bring them part of the Western culture you came from.

Quite frankly, your values don't mean shit. It's not your job to teach them cultures you think are important. It's not your job to disengage them from the rules of their own culture, to shake them up, to impose your own values.

If you feel it's your job to make them a well rounded cultural person, then teach them all about the different cultures of the UK, the different cultures of The Americas, teach them things about the WHOLE WORLD. What you as an individual want to change is irrelevant. It's selfish, actually.

In fact, the whole you need a whole new set of social rules outside of Georgia rules thing is bullshit too if you're only going to teach them "the values you love" or "Western values to Georgia children." If you wanna get technical, that's their parents job.

But I understand a teacher's want to influence kids. I'm grateful for it, really. But I would't be grateful if the teacher was just like "well, this is you culture. This is mine. I'm gonna teach you mine while explaining why I want yours to change." That's crap.