Are humans better than other forms of life?

Many people think that something called respect applies to all forms of life; on the other hands humans are essentially above other animals is the sense of intelligence and culture. Because of our mental superiority it is ethical for animals to be farmed and mistreated, animals treated by the standards human would receive as punishment for murder and other horrendous acts.

Are Humans really superior to other forms of life?

Image for post Are humans better than other forms of life?
Topicss avatar Science
1 25

No, we ruin everything

I'm going to say yes, but only because as a human, I care more about the well being of my own species. However, on a grander scale, we really aren't any better than any other animal.

Did you read Ishmael by Daniel Quinn?

Not really.

No, we are all different, and have strengths and weaknesses.

Any others yet discovered, yes, we are better than them, coz our evolution went really well, compared to any other species discovered.

@1933924

we have massive superiority complex, coz we have a reason to. We are smarter than any other species on the earth, plus we're not very bad physically. i mean we're larger than most species. so, yeah we are superior

@purusharth95 we have massive superiority complex, coz we have a reason to. We are smarter than any other species on the earth...

What is most important is subjective by species. Objectively, we can't say that we're the most important because intelligence is the most important when it's only important to/for us. Physically, most creatures could fuck us up. Bees, honey badgers, horses, even birds, because we're shit when it comes to defense, that's why we need intelligence. And we're actually smaller than most species.

@Frank_n_Furter What is most important is subjective by species. Objectively, we can't say that we're the most important because...

we can say that we're the most important because intelligence is one of the major factors determining that. ok say we are smaller than most of the species (which we are not), we still can defend ourselves, even attack with guns n missiles n stuff. Plus, we have very strong survival instincts. i mean, when faced with an animal, i would use my mind along with my body to get out of it. soldiers do that.

@purusharth95 we can say that we're the most important because intelligence is one of the major factors determining that. ok say...

You're not getting the concept of subjective and objective... Intelligence is only most important to humans. If another trait is more important to different animals, objectively there is no most important trait. It being the most important to only one species does not make it most important- which is where the whole superiority complex in thinking it does comes in.

There is a chart floating somewhere on the internet showing how small in comparison we are, if I find it I'll link you to it. We're quite puny.

I'd like to see you figure out how to defend yourself against a cougar on the spot. You could possibly build a trap to catch one, but you sure as hell can't fight one. Most people do not have a gun or missiles- let alone know how to build one, it's irrelevant unless we all have the tool built in- like a tiger having teeth or us having big brains. Besides that, I'd like to see you protect yourself against a swarm of Africanized bees with a gun.

We can defend ourselves with guns and missiles- apparently making us impossible to defeat and the ultimate predator. We have nuclear arms, but they can't kill a cockroach, does that make cockroaches better than us, or are the most important traits subjective by species?

@Frank_n_Furter You're not getting the concept of subjective and objective... Intelligence is only most important to humans. If...

survival instincts have nothing to do with subjectivity or objectivity. it doesn't matter whether we look at a trait subjectively or objectively, as long as it helps us survive. simple as that.
Most people do not have weapons, but it doesn't mean we aren't capable of. I mean scientists have made weapons, which are available in the markets designed by humans. Thus, we are capable of being as safe as possible from anything other than human beings. And, yes, u could kill cockroaches, with a insect spray, if not with a real weapon.

@purusharth95 survival instincts have nothing to do with subjectivity or objectivity. it doesn't matter whether we look at a...

ono smilie Judging which trait is consistently most important across species and deciding your own specie's strong trait is most important making humans better has everything to do with subjectivity vs. objectivity. I can't do this anymore. I'm exiting the conversation.

@Frank_n_Furter Judging which trait is consistently most important across species and deciding your own specie's strong trait...

forfeiting, are u...i could go on, but i see u prefer the avoidance strategy...ur call, whatever

@purusharth95 forfeiting, are u...i could go on, but i see u prefer the avoidance strategy...ur call, whatever

Yes. I cannot stand conversations with people who can't step outside the subjective bubble and consider things from an objective perspective or stay on point. Once I realized you were that kind of person with 0% chance of words not slipping out of your ear, I became uninterested in the conversation. Call it forfeit or whatever you want.

@Frank_n_Furter Yes. I cannot stand conversations with people who can't step outside the subjective bubble and consider things from...

seems to me like u don't talk to anyone who doesn't like ur illogical way of thinking. so i said that it isn't for humans or any other other species to choose which traits are more important. so, subjectivity or objectivity doesn't matter. if u can't understand that, no use arguing with u. go to hell or whtevr

@purusharth95 seems to me like u don't talk to anyone who doesn't like ur illogical way of thinking. so i said that it isn't for...

"we are better than them, coz our evolution went really well, compared to any other species discovered."

"we have massive superiority complex, coz we have a reason to."

"we can say that we're the most important because intelligence is one of the major factors determining that."

Nope, never said we have no right to chose which traits are important.

I'm done talking about why we can't say we're better when you say we can say that, I'm just pointing out how contradictory and illogical you are. Me thinks you're projecting.

Okie dokie. See you there or whtevr.

@Frank_n_Furter "we are better than them, coz our evolution went really well, compared to any other species discovered." "we have...

so u r still replying...by the way, none of my statements is incorrect. call me illogical or whatever, and remember going to hell, true wishes from my side

@purusharth95 so u r still replying...by the way, none of my statements is incorrect. call me illogical or whatever, and remember...

You lack distinction. "'I''m done talking about why we can't say we're better when you say we can say that, I'm just pointing out how contradictory and illogical you are." LOL, if you honestly wish I go to hell because of this you have serious issues, so I'll see you there.

First of all dude you need to chill out.

There's a difference between arguing about why humans aren't the most important and pointing out the hypocrisy of you calling them illogical when you contradicted yourself and don't use logic.

And there's a difference between deciding not to talk to someone because they aren't differentiating between subjective and objective when that's what their entire point was so continuing would be pointless because you don't listen, and not talking to someone because they don't agree with your "illogical logic" which is actually what you used, it was quite circular then you straight up lied at the end.

I see Colebowl talk to people whose logic he doesn't agree with all the time, I wouldn't want to have a conversation with someone when all my words go in one ear and out the other either.

@purusharth95 Any others yet discovered, yes, we are better than them, coz our evolution went really well, compared to any other...

Evolution going really well for us because we're smart is the same as evolution going really well for nectar eating birds having long thin beaks or a deep sea fish having a red light they use to see that the other fish can't or the fish that have a light on them that attracts prey.

You think intelligence is most important because you need your intelligence. A cheetah doesn't give a shit that you know what an atom is, a cheetah think speed, strength, claws and teeth are what's important. What is most important is subjective by species. Objectively, we can't say that we're the most important because intelligence is the most important when it's only important to us.