Is mental illness contagious?

We are constantly being told 'it is in our genes' But I feel perfectly normal kids can have their mental state changed because of mistreatment. I also feel that being exposed to mental illness can cause mental illness.What do you think and what are your experiences?

Image for post Is mental illness contagious?
Health, Beauty & Fitness
0 17

No, but it could influence us.

Being exposed doesn't cause mental illness, but behaviours and such can be picked up. Like when I'm excited I do a weird, flapping like thing with my arms and my best friend started doing it subconsciously with her friends at school.

@1933897

that's really interesting

how old is your sister now?

@1933969

so there's a 7 year gap then?

@1933973

NOOOOOOOOOO

why did I tell you?

See, whenever we see people behaving a several way, we kind of begin thinking of it as normal. To blend into the society, we try to be normal. So, it works, but very very slow.

@purusharth95 See, whenever we see people behaving a several way, we kind of begin thinking of it as normal. To blend into the...

Like how after a few hours if only watching BBC, you start to develop the accent by accident. Well, at least that happens to me.

@Helveticabun Like how after a few hours if only watching BBC, you start to develop the accent by accident. Well, at least that...

for a couple of days
my brother and cousin hung out with relatives who had an English accent

and suddenly
my brother and cousin had an English accent too

even after my relatives left
they kept the accent for a few days

I wouldn't say the mental illness itself is contagious- someone being around someone else that's depressed wont give them clinical depression- but the awareness of it is. If someone had bipolar and they received a diagnosis, got on medication, and went to therapy and showed marked improvements in their behavior and thinking, someone else in their lives with bipolar might become more aware that their mental state isn't normal, and that it's perfectly okay for them to get help too, so they inspire more people to get help for previously existing problems, so on and so forth

It can be, but so can mental wellness

I wouldn't say that mental health or mental wellness is contagious, but it can influence you. Like if you around someone who does suffer from major depressive episodes than their negative thinking can cause you to think in a similar manner.