+11

Media polls that identify us based on our skin color are forms of racism and segregation.

The media consistently displays percentage polls of what people think on several different topics and segregate our races into categories: Caucasian, African American, Latino and so forth. This categorization of people is a form of racism and segregation. Racism is the general classification of people based on their race and not on their individual self. When we categorize people based on the color of their skin we will continue to focus more on race than on individualism which means that we will never take the next evolutionary step of equality in our country.

Now is the time to tell the media, the world and each other that we will no longer be categorized based on the color of our skin. Percentage polls categorizing race should no longer be used. Together we are one and together we are individual persons and how we think and what we believe belong to ourselves and not to a group of people who just happen to have the same skin color as we do.

I don’t want people to look at a poll and think that a Caucasian or an African American thinks this way or that. It creates an “us” versus “them” mentality and says that we are different because our skin colors are different and we should point that out in a poll. The person standing next to me is a person, and while I care what he thinks, I don’t care what color he is and don’t want to say that he thinks that way because of his color since the last poll says that people of that color think that way.

Image for post Media polls that identify us based on our skin color are forms of racism and segregation.
Life
0 5

Huh. That's an intriguing perspective. I suppose it is a bit racist, but it's really just a way of classifying data, isn't it? Like seeing if there are different trends based with different demographics. They're trying to see if, say, the majority of latino people care more about education or healthcare and it's just a way of dividing the data so it's easier to use, not to set them apart from everyone. I personally hate stereotypes and being lumped in together with people who happen to share some random characteristic with me, age and gender and wealth-status and whatnot are in just as much use for categorizing people. I do think it's a bit sexist to be polling men separately from women but is it really holding back the country?

if it is a poll then no. every culture is different and I find it interesting to see just how my people are different from others. we all have different views. it is simply informational and nothing more.

"Racism is the general classification of people based on their race and not on their individual self." No, that's stereotyping. While it still may be wrong, it's not the same as racism.

Racism- the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, esp. so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.

So in relation to your argument, the polls themselves aren't being racist, but it would be the people reading the poll assuming they took such polls seriously and began looking down at another race because of it.

I do agree that these polls shouldn't be stereotyping. It's also worth mentioning that a poll that asks, "how often do you feel discriminated against for your race?" would not be racist in anyway as the race of the person is relevant to the question.

If the polls truly generate varying demographics, then aren't some races leaning to different tendencies? That's not racism, that's perhaps cultural difference in politics, and that's a real thing. It should not lead to stereotyping or racism because people should realize that it is a certain percentage of a race that feels that way. Stereotyping or racism is when people assume that for all of that race. But if differences exist, why should we pretend they don't? Because some people might come to false conclusions and others get offended?