+1

I don't believe government is an efficient tool for solving problems. I want my representatives to believe it can be, then prove it.

I think most politicians, worldwide, across parties and systems of government, are so caught up in the sport of it all... That in essence, they forget their primary responsibility, to efficiently manage, and use the resources of government.

People on both sides of issues in any country, will often talk about how their side wants to solve problems but the other side gets in the way... but I'm actually not talking about problems, or issues, I'm talking about governance, as management of the bureaucracy. People aren’t just elected to shrink or expand government, or sign policy, they are also elected as managers, or appointers of management, and most of them do a terrible job.

Having spent over a decade in the part time employ of the federal government, I can tell you, who you elect, makes a difference on the ground… Sometimes. People who truly believe that government can be used to efficiently solve problems, take the management part of their job seriously. People who do not believe in governments ability to solve problems, do not take this responsibility seriously.

I worked under appointees, that were across the spectrum, from ultra right, to ultra left. In general, the difference is simple, one group wants you to buy stuff, one wants you to hire people, they’re both stupid.
There is one group of people, however, on both sides of the spectrum, that the bureaucracy must constantly fear. People who believe government cannot do good. Why? Is it just fear of firings or layoffs? NO! The exact opposite.

People who do not believe that government can solve problems, appoint their friends to high paying government positions. They give huge government contracts to incompetent agencies intentionally, and they never fire anyone… Why? They believe, that‘s what everyone is doing.

Keynesians, on the left, meanwhile, are just as bad, because they believe it doesn’t matter how you spend, just spend. That doesn't get problems solved.

Politics
0 0
There are no comments here yet. Start the conversation below!