Is it okay to judge people according to their physical Appearance ?

Many people judge others without knowing anything about them. They only judge them according to their physical Appearance . It's really wrong deed to do so. Let's get to know them in order to know who they are. We can not know anybody till we get to know them. We should interact with them. It's really a huge mistake to juge and gossip about them.
Do we choose to deal with people according to their physical Appearance ?.

Image for post Is it okay to judge people according to their physical Appearance ?
Language
0 65

It's okay. For the most part, you have control over your physical appearance. Therefore, you have the power to control how you want others to perceive you. You can't dress like a homeless person and then get mad when people assume that you're a homeless person.

However, you should still have an open mind and a willingness to get to know a person, regardless of your initial judgement.

Yes it is. Whether we like to admit it or not, we all do it. If you say you don't, you're lying. The first time you meet someone, you automatically make assumptions about them by the way they look, and you can't help that. We do this because our brains are trying to figure out if this person is safe to be around, if we can trust them, etc. and their appearance is the only information your brain gets at first.This response has evolved with humans in order to help us survive. After you get to know a person, you may find that your initial judgement was wrong, and that's okay too. The point is, nobody can help judging someone by their appearance at first, but you don't necessarily have to let that judgement get in the way of getting to know them better.

@kristinoct14 Yes it is. Whether we like to admit it or not, we all do it. If you say you don't, you're lying. The first time you...

I agree that it is part of human nature and "everyone" does it. But that does not make it "ok". If it could be eliminated the world would be a better place. It's like death, taxes, and mosquitoes. Can't get rid of them but that doesn't mean we shouldn't try.

@VicZinc I agree that it is part of human nature and "everyone" does it. But that does not make it "ok". If it could be...

why would you get rid of mosquitoes?
they help keep the balance in that complicated chain

I think I'd say the same about death and taxes

there's also this sort of good judgement that happens too like
"woah, that person looks really friendly"

@fuzala why would you get rid of mosquitoes? they help keep the balance in that complicated chain I think I'd say the same...

OK. Keep the mosquitoes, but I don't have o like them. All judging is bad. "Judge not least you be judged. "

@VicZinc OK. Keep the mosquitoes, but I don't have o like them. All judging is bad. "Judge not least you be judged. "

I always assumed that quote meant the kind of judging where the person goes
"woah, that person looks really smelly"

@fuzala I always assumed that quote meant the kind of judging where the person goes "woah, that person looks really smelly"

It is a passage from the Christian bible.

http://biblehub.com/matthew/7-1.htm

Jesus admonished his followers that only the lord has the power to judge. I go with the idea of "let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

Because we all have flaws, to point out someone else flaws is hypocritical. Also to point out their superiority is to point out everyone else's shortcomings.

@VicZinc It is a passage from the Christian bible. http://biblehub.com/matthew/7-1.htm Jesus admonished his followers...

I knew it was from the Bible

the friendly comment
I didn't look at it as pointing out a superiority
but a silent compliment

@fuzala I knew it was from the Bible the friendly comment I didn't look at it as pointing out a superiority but a silent...

Well. I guess for me the word "judge" is charged with emotion. "Notice" is a better would. It is OK to notice things about people as long as you don't jump to conclusions about their worth.

@VicZinc Well. I guess for me the word "judge" is charged with emotion. "Notice" is a better would. It is OK to notice...

oh yeah
notice sounds like a better word in these situations

so I'm assuming judging deals more with someone's worth which is pretty much impossible with surface glances

Well, if somebody has uncut fingernails, rancid body odor, unshaven, etc., you can probably make the judgement that they're lazy if they can't even take care of themselves.

@Lindsay_Con_Queso Well, if somebody has uncut fingernails, rancid body odor, unshaven, etc., you can probably make the judgement that...

or they work really hard and don't have time or inclination to worry about grooming because they are so dedicated to their mission in life.

@VicZinc or they work really hard and don't have time or inclination to worry about grooming because they are so dedicated...

yeah
there's always another side
so that's the kind of judging I thought that quote meant

I have a post for it

http://www.amirite.com/754173-a...n-can-make-the

when someone is really obnoxious on the subway
maybe this person really isn't rude
maybe he/she just had a terrible day and let the emotions run away

But if they're playing World of Warcraft at McDonald's for wifi, I don't know... Unless WoW is their mission in life.

@Lindsay_Con_Queso But if they're playing World of Warcraft at McDonald's for wifi, I don't know... Unless WoW is their mission in life.

I could write a story about a kid who did that and somehow saved the world ala Sarah Conner or something like that. Shouldn't judge because you never know the whole story ono smilie

@VicZinc I could write a story about a kid who did that and somehow saved the world ala Sarah Conner or something like...

I'm aware that judging is bad. But I'm just a human and can't help it sometimes. I don't openly express my judgements about particular people, like if I saw someone at McDonald's playing Wow with uncut nails, etc., I wouldn't say anything to anyone but I'd surely think something. And I'm aware that people judge me, too. It's okay. Sometimes, judgement is inevitable. Unless someone is a Saint, we're all terrible in at least some way.

If you're playing basket ball and picking players, you pick the tall athletic looking dude before the scrawny kid. But maybe the scrawny kid ends up being better at basketball than the tall athletic looking dude. It's OK to judge as long as you don't continue to judge about the same thing after you've been proven wrong.

Yes, it's a natural human and animal behavior. Why do dogs bark at some people and not others? Why do babies cry with some strangers and not others? If you see a diseased-looking person with boils and scraggly hair and soiled clothing, would you still sit next to them on the subway, or would you use your natural judging to make a smart decision and not put yourself in a potentially harmful situation? We use judging for safety mostly, so I'm not saying you should make a decision about someone based on the fact that you don't like their hair color or something else that trivial.

It's not okay to judge people, period. Most especially when you do not take the time to know them.

@2771867

I have been going through various posts, but nope, have not really paid any mind to the original posting date. lol

@Vrendowl I have been going through various posts, but nope, have not really paid any mind to the original posting date. lol

If you want, you can go to the "just in" page and see the newest posts. Either way, have fun.

@VicZinc If you want, you can go to the "just in" page and see the newest posts. Either way, have fun.

I did that, but many were about politicians or professional sports, which are two subjects I don't feel passionate enough about to have enough of an opinion to share.

It is never ok to judge people.

@1934057

he didn't say that we won't judge
just that he doesn't think it's okay

I'll use a crazy comparison
it's unrealistic to think murder will never happen
but one can still think it's never okay

although I do think sometimes it is necessary in cases like defending

@1934057

No, I think everyone does it, and it is impossible to stop it, but that doesn't make it "OK." Two wrongs don't make a right or whatever.

@VicZinc No, I think everyone does it, and it is impossible to stop it, but that doesn't make it "OK." Two wrongs don't...

What if there was a wheel barrow race and when you were picking partners, you picked the smallest, lightest looking person because they looked the easiest to carry? Judging has such a negative connotation to it, but I think it's OK.

@Frank_n_Furter What if there was a wheel barrow race and when you were picking partners, you picked the smallest, lightest looking...

I think judging deals more with deciding someone's worth

Mr. Z explained something to me
what you described is noticing something about someone

you're noticing that this person is lightweight

judging the person would be like that
"what a lightweight loser!"

@fuzala I think judging deals more with deciding someone's worth Mr. Z explained something to me what you described is...

I look at things literally. The definition of judging means "Form an opinion or conclusion about." You formed the conclusion they would be light and easy to carry. I don't think is always bad. Just when it's like "what a lightweight loser!"

@Frank_n_Furter I look at things literally. The definition of judging means "Form an opinion or conclusion about." You formed the...

the meaning of words depend on context too
right?

although the word has specific denotations
the connotations are much more broad

@fuzala the meaning of words depend on context too right? although the word has specific denotations the connotations are...

Some words. Some words have a very black and white definition. This word, the definition is pretty black and white, but the connotation depends on context.

Dammit. You edited your comment so now I look like I'm repeating you XD

@VicZinc I agree. And in this context the word "judge" has negative connotations.

Yes, but just because something has a negative connotation doesn't necessarily mean that thing is always negative.

@Frank_n_Furter Yes, but just because something has a negative connotation doesn't necessarily mean that thing is always negative.

Agreed again. But "judging" people on their physical appearance is a no-no. i.e, making assumptions about their ability, intelligence trustworthiness, suitability for employment, athletic prowess, etc. is not OK.

@VicZinc exactly!

Well here we'll have to agree to disagree because I think all those things are just fine, and that not doing that would lead to incredibly stupid decisions.

@Frank_n_Furter Well here we'll have to agree to disagree because I think all those things are just fine, and that not doing that...

It is a matter of definitions then. "Judging" (if we are using your definition) a person's weight to select a partner for the race does have its advantages, but I would use a scale then. Guessing their weight by physical "appearance" seems risky. I've never been good at using "appearance" to judge reality. So "judge" all you want, but you might want to use actual measurements instead of just the going by way they look, it can be very deceiving.

@VicZinc OK now I will agree to disagree.

Wrong as in incorrect. Being incorrect isn't morally wrong.

@Frank_n_Furter Wrong as in incorrect. Being incorrect isn't morally wrong.

Here is the bottom line. The topics for this post are:

-Language
-People
-Beauty
-Perception

The poster obviously was baiting the comments by using the words "judge" and "Appearance." His/her first topic choice is "language" so clearly OP wanted us to think about the word choices in this post. You will also note the capital "A" in Appearances. Clearly AP wanted this post to hinge on what appears instead of what is real.

Many people fell for it, because they think that just because we all do it then it is OK.

This post is clearly about judging people's value to society based on their perceived physical beauty. Those are the three "topics" of this post. If you want it pretend it is about wheelbarrow races fine.

You have made many comments on other posts that make me believe you yourself have been occasionally been misjudged by others. I know I certainly have. I hate it when that happens, so I try very hard not to judge others that way.

"Is it not okay to judge people according to their physical Appearance. That is my stance. If you think it is OK then, (as you suggested) let's agree to disagree.

@VicZinc Here is the bottom line. The topics for this post are: -Language -People -Beauty -Perception The poster...

It also has perception as a topic, and perception isn't reality-It says nothing about their value to society, that's just how you perceived it. And okie dokie.

@Frank_n_Furter Or how good of a partner they'd be in a wheel barrow race?

actually physical appearance is the main factor for determining how good a person would be in the "wheel barrow race"

@purusharth95 actually physical appearance is the main factor for determining how good a person would be in the "wheel barrow race"

My comment goes to you as well. I have seen small kids that weigh more then bigger ones. Muscle and bone. I would rather have a 300 lb pro-bowl linebacker pushing my wheelbarrow then a sprint-racer who "looks" like he can run. Physical "attributes" are the main factor, not "appearance."

@2040813

I would not
Some would
that does not make it "ok"
which is what OP asked

I would not use the
wheelchair in the hiring decision
I would ask the person in the wheelchair
if climbing ladders or caring bags of cement
would pose a problem
If they said "no" I would take them at their
word until proven wrong by their performance

I doubt that being mentally challenged is
a "physical appearance" but I have not looked
in the mirror lately so it might be
[have you seen the Hudsucker Proxy?]

I would not deny a paraplegic a field trial
"here's the ball, let's see what you can do"
ask Tom Dempsey his thoughts on this.

You are right they are (mostly) not
malicious judgements, but they are
judgements based on preconceived
opinions and not actual evaluation of
the person's ability to perform the job.

It is not "OK" to prejudge a persons ability
by making a quick assessment of their
physical appearance
we must allow them to prove they can do
the job if they apply, even if it is by
a quick "test" of their ability

It is. The only reason we judge people is that we want to know their competency, which determines what kind of a relationship we would like with them. All the attributes that make a person good looking, are the same, which determine her/his survival instincts, for e.g. tallness, muscles, skin,etc. So, yeah it is okay, even if they wouldn't like it. PS, i'm not good looking, but i accept the judgement part, coz it is human behaviour, and will not really change in the near future.

@purusharth95 It is. The only reason we judge people is that we want to know their competency, which determines what kind of a...

The post does not say "do we do it/ should we do it" it says is it "ok" - so depending on your definition of "ok" - if you are a religious person the book says "judge not" if you are an atheist, well then it depends on your morals.

@VicZinc The post does not say "do we do it/ should we do it" it says is it "ok" - so depending on your definition of "ok" -...

anything which is an instinct, is naturally ok. i said that judging on the basis of physical appearance is natural. it is implied that i'm saying that it's ok.

no, read the book dont judge by its the cover

We should not be too judgemental. Judging is okay but the attributes should not be looks or physical appearance