Nintendo Wii, Facebook and Tiny Wings: valuable educational tools or addictive, time-wasting activities?

I have always believed that children should read books, play outside and paint pictures rather than watch TV, surf the internet and play video games. But am I wrong? Are today's children equipping themselves for life in the 21st century by using these tools? Watching my grandchildren on their computers, I have observed a lot of learning going on. Super Mario on the Wii teaches skills from teamwork to Newton's Laws of Motion. Facebook appears to teach anything and everything about relationships, communication, political opinion to name a few. Tiny Wings is all about the physics of motion. Should children be allowed to get on with it? Are books the dinosaurs of learning? Can Art be created on the computer? What is the sensible and most beneficial approach a parent can take?

Image for post Nintendo Wii, Facebook and Tiny Wings: valuable educational tools or addictive, time-wasting activities?
Games
0 1

Neither...more like a fun way to spend youre free time.