+74

Professional singers should not be allowed to lip sync. Amirite?

If singing is what a person does to earn their living, then they should sing live without any enhancements or back up. Have you ever heard a song on the radio and loved how good it sounded, and then when you heard the live performance by the artist could not believe that was the same person? Because of all the enhancements that can be done to music and the voice for recording purposes, the REAL voice just doesn't sound great any more. UNLESS, of course, the singer really and truly can sing and has an incredible gift to sing. I want to hear the real thing - not a lip sync performance.

Image for post Professional singers should not be allowed to lip sync. Amirite?
freespeechfreelancers avatar Music
0 34
The voters have decided that freespeechfreelancer is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

I have to disagree. It's kind of a shitty thing to do, but they should be allowed. That knowledge should at least be made public, though, so their fans aren't under the impression that they're legitimately being sung to.

Besides, pop-stars are more performers than they are musicians. Their music isn't as important as their image as an attractive icon of success. That's not to say their music is bad; I like a lot of pop music. It's just not their primary appeal.

There are plenty of bands you can listen to if you are concerned with actual musical talent. Almost none of them are mainstream.

@Mike_Hawk I have to disagree. It's kind of a shitty thing to do, but they should be allowed. That knowledge should at least...

Why not just play a tape or CD to us then and skip the appearance? Why do we NEED the "star" if the star is NOT going to perform?

@freespeechfreelancer Why not just play a tape or CD to us then and skip the appearance? Why do we NEED the "star" if the star is NOT...

Because them being the star is a big part of their persona. They're not musicians, they're performers. Going to see these big pop-stars in concert is mostly a concert in name only. It's more of a live show. The people are there to watch them perform, not necessarily to watch them sing.

Most concerts aren't actually about the music. You more than likely own all of the songs you are going to see the artist play. It's an experience and the thrill of seeing your idol plays a big part of that. It does make a lot of sense for the artist to actually play or sing the songs, but that's because most artists are musicians. Like I said, pop-artists are more performers than musicians.

@Mike_Hawk Because them being the star is a big part of their persona. They're not musicians, they're performers. Going to see...

It's sad to say you're right. Image is an important part of success. Why do you think so many girls go mad over One Direction? It's annoying to think people care more about looks than talent.

Though I think the overall point Freespeech wanted to show is that some people digitally enhance their voice to the point it can be almost impossible to find similarities between live and not live. Which in my opinion, is not so cool.

Orangiess avatar Orangies Yeah You Are 0Reply
@Orangies It's sad to say you're right. Image is an important part of success. Why do you think so many girls go mad over One...

You have more balance than most of what I have read here. I guess at my age, the "show" does not mean nearly what it means to youth. I do care about the voice and talent MORE than how they dance, smile, or what they are wearing. When I was younger, I will admit that "image" was everything. But once you enter the realm of "old fart," image is unnecessary. From my perspective, I have nothing to prove to anyone and I am not trying to impress. Either people will "like" the way I look and who I am or they won't. And because I view myself in this way, then it is easy to carry that over to the world around me. I don't want to be impressed or dazzled by the latest fashion or glitz - I just want to hear great music. I just always thought that lip syncing was very cheap and a form of cheating the customer. Obviously many more readers feel otherwise. And that is perfectly fine by me.

@freespeechfreelancer You have more balance than most of what I have read here. I guess at my age, the "show" does not mean nearly what...

I was one to always listen to the voice, not look at people. Lots of bands in my opinion did not have all that attractive people, but I still loved them... People have different prefferences, though.

Orangiess avatar Orangies Yeah You Are +1Reply
@1934446

So many people and so many views. It is amazing how we all "see" and "hear" things differently. I know I am quite dated but I remember watching bands from the 60's, 70's, and 80,s and "the show" was simply the band jamming on stage. Led Zeppelin's Robert Plant was not a dancer and pretty much stood with the mic pole in his hand and let his voice rip. And they are considered one of the greatest rock bands ever. Think about when the Beatles first came out. They wore suits and ties on stage, and yes, the girls went crazy. Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Eric Clapton - people went to hear their voice FIRST and watch them do anything on top of just singing. The first Woodstock was a MUSIC event. No fantastic stage shows - just all out jamming for hours and hours. The Rolling Stones, The Who, Neil Young, Tom Petty, Joan Jett......people who just got up and rocked out.
I do think you and others are right in the visual aspect of shows these days. Commercials and video games have definitely raised the bar on expecting a certain amount of visual images and frames flashing per second. You see it even in the movies today. Watch an action movie from the 70 's or 80's and for most younger people, it would seem boring and slow. And many young people are growing up on energy drinks, so their heart beat and system is running about 2 - 3 times faster than normal speed. Everyone is jacked and amped up and going at warp speed at all times.
And after reading everything by everyone, I still prefer the live voice over lip syncing. That is just my preference. We all have our likes and dislikes. I am happy still listening to my old vinyl albums. Give me Steve Perry from the original Journey any day.

I'm only agreeing to this post because I don't think a professional should lip sync to another person's voice.

If they pre-recorded their own voice, just in case their voice was cracking and they couldn't cancel the show, I think it's okay. Considering it's their own voice, and not someone else's.

EDIT: After reading the explanation, I feel dumb. Sorry. Lip singing and lip syncing are hard to tell the difference from because I'm an idiot.

I think that a natural voice is far better than a digitally enhanced one. I think that it is normal for minor adjustments to be made, but to make it sound completely different is not right in my opinion. It takes away the unique feel of one's voice.

Orangiess avatar Orangies Yeah You Are +4Reply
@Orangies I'm only agreeing to this post because I don't think a professional should lip sync to another person's...

You are far from being an idiot. Your first comments were just as in order as your latter ones.

Professional singers should be allowed to do whatever the hell they want to, as long as they're honest and respect people.
Thus, they shall state it clearly, should they use lipsync. People would be free to support/boycott them.

Sometimes the singer doesn't get enough time to rehearse and a lip sync would be the best solution. It isn't always the singers choice either; sometimes the person in charge of audio thinks there are too many things that could go wrong and lip syncing would be the safe way to get a good performance.

@Skr3wBall Sometimes the singer doesn't get enough time to rehearse and a lip sync would be the best solution. It isn't always...

I understand all of that. So what then are they getting paid for? Could not any of us do the exact same thing?

@freespeechfreelancer I understand all of that. So what then are they getting paid for? Could not any of us do the exact same thing?

Why would someone book a person who cannot sing to lip sync on stage? We could do the same thing, but it'd be stupid since we'd be lip syncing someone else's song and maybe not even doing it that well. They're getting paid to perform and they're professional performers.

@Skr3wBall Why would someone book a person who cannot sing to lip sync on stage? We could do the same thing, but it'd be...

If a person can sing, why would there be a need for digital enhancement?

For rehearsing, why would a lip sync be needed? When on stage, you either sing with your real voice or sing to someone else's. Unless you are listening to your pre-recorded voice, maybe I won't see a problem. Because it's their voice.

@Orangies If a person can sing, why would there be a need for digital enhancement? For rehearsing, why would a lip sync be...

Because it makes them sound even better. If you can make something great even better, you do it. Lip sync wouldn't be needed in rehearsing and I don't understand the second part. When do professional singers ever lip sync other peoples songs in performance? The picture of Beyonce is a direct reference to her Lip-syncing at the 2012 inauguration, and the band using a pre-recorded performance because of the weather.

@Skr3wBall Because it makes them sound even better. If you can make something great even better, you do it. Lip sync wouldn't...

"Sometimes the singer doesn't get enough time to rehearse and a lip sync would be the best solution."

What was what you said. I probably misunderstood that part, but oh well.

I don't completely hate the idea of pitch correction, minor tweaks here and there don't bother me. What does bother me is when the album sounds like a different singer from the concert. That's all.

@Orangies "Sometimes the singer doesn't get enough time to rehearse and a lip sync would be the best solution." What was...

What I meant was they didn't get a chance to rehearse singing the song live or do enough sound checks or whatever, so using a lip sync for the actual performance would be the only solution.

@Skr3wBall What I meant was they didn't get a chance to rehearse singing the song live or do enough sound checks or whatever...

So again I ask, what the hell are they getting paid for???? Most people who don't do their JOB don't get paid.

@freespeechfreelancer So again I ask, what the hell are they getting paid for???? Most people who don't do their JOB don't get paid.

They're getting paid to perform the song. Lip synced or not they are CELEBRITIES people like to seem them in concert and do the motions on stage. Even if there isn't choreography it's still their song so what is so bad about not singing it live? Would you rather stare at an empty stage for 10 minutes with nothing playing at all?

@Skr3wBall They're getting paid to perform the song. Lip synced or not they are CELEBRITIES people like to seem them in...

No, I would RATHER have the artist perform a real and live rendition of their work. A concert should be like an artist painting a live canvas or a sculptor doing a live sculpting. If their ART is their singing and voice, but they don't use their real voice, then they have ripped off everyone who paid to see a live show. My generation did not except fakes or imitations. I am not putting you or anyone else down who is willing to accept second best - I just know that I won't and don't.

I disagree. Depending on the artist is depending on wether they need to use it. If you want to go to a concert to just hear the music go home and put the CD in. You aren't there to hear the music, you are there to see the show, the artists dancing, moving, inviting friends up or random people up. A lot of moving around and things being focused on that it becomes difficult to sing perfectly at the same time.

Gavins avatar Gavin No Way 0Reply

Sometimes conditions may not support live singing and you want them to sound good.

If they are singers, why should they fake it? I mean, seriously?

usanaims avatar usanaim Yeah You Are 0Reply

i think we shoul give that chance to beginners

lianita17s avatar lianita17 Yeah You Are 0Reply