Atheism = 1 belief system, what are the rest of yours?

The Wall of Atheist philosophers:
"Cultural fade is inevitable, that is the process of evolution. Words are like the mists of time, it is emotions that will always rule the day....And maybe explore new ideas. It's new ideas that keep the world turning."

• Derek Payne

"how hypocritical of you to deny atheists the right to redefine the term when you full-heartedly redefine religion as encompassing all philosophies of life."

• Matthieu Miossec

"Words have no intrinsic meaning and thus they are subject to whatever the speaker says they mean."

• Andrew Buchman

"But Atheist is just a label people attach to those who find no reason to believe in God and are sceptical of all mumbo jumbo. It is quite a meaningless and misleading label"

• Richard Dawson

"At the root core of all religions, it's just humanism, so religion could be considered a waste of time."

• Tim Colgan
Image for post Atheism = 1 belief system, what are the rest of yours?
funkyhomosapiens avatar Religion
0 4

I like the last quote (by Tim Colgan).

Would everyone follow humanist principles on their own, we wouldn't need a flying-supernatural-almighty-allknowing-invisible-longbearded being to enforce them.

Assume there is a god who penned the 10 commandments.

He would be bound to follow the first one, “You shall have no other gods before me,” which implies that there are other gods. Therefore if that god exists, there are at least two gods.

That god would also have to follow the proviso in his second commandment: “...I am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the parents...” Jealousy further indicates there must be at least one other god, or else, of whom would be be jealous?

This does not prove there are any gods; but narrows it down to either zero or at least two. Logically there cannot be only the one god (unless he is a liar), or unless he is not the god of the 10 commandments. If he is not the god of the ten commandments then 70% of the worlds population is worshiping the wrong god.

If he is that god of Abraham, then there are a least two gods. So we can only hope that at least one of them is not the jealous and vengeful god who penned the 10 commandments. For he himself said he was the jealous type and that he planned to vengefully punish us for the sins of our ancestors.

Thus this becomes a much more complicated situation then is needed to explain existence. Therefore I prefer the no god scenario. It is more parsimonious.

@Assume there is a god who penned the 10 commandments. He would be bound to follow the first one, “You shall...

“You shall have no other gods before me,”

Maybe it just says : you shall not worship another god, for there is none.
The way it is said, it seems to me that he's talking about a belief.

Anyways, to me, a god exists IFF there is someone to believe in them.

Lol thats a great quote!