Is sixth sense needed for finding meanings in abstract expressions (mathematics and symbolic arts)?

Charles Darwin (1859) describes the reasons for his shortcomings in mathematical skills, “…… I attempted mathematics, and even went during summer of 1828 with a private tutor……but I got on very slowly. The work was repugnant to me, chiefly from my not being able to see any meaning in early steps in algebra. This impatience was very foolish, and in after years I have deeply regretted that I did not proceed far enough at least to understand something of great leading principles of mathematics, for men thus endowed seem to have an extra sense……….”
For people who suffer from inability to find meaning in math, doing mathematical exercise look like rolling an immense boulder up a hill and watch it roll back down like Sisyphus, a character in Greek mythology who was punished to do so, throughout eternity.
It occurs to me when I visit museums of modern arts. Some art pieces seem absurd to me as I fail to find a pattern, aesthetical value, symbolic communication or expression of feeling either by lines, colors or tones of brush strokes. Reading the lines of Darwin, I got an interest in knowing the experience of others. May be a sixth sense needed for finding meaning in abstract ideas? May be my definition of meaning is very narrow that escapes the abstract expressions?

Image for post Is sixth sense needed for finding meanings in abstract expressions (mathematics and symbolic arts)?
funkyhomosapiens avatar Art
0 1
There are no comments here yet. Start the conversation below!