Given current networking and opensource possibilities is it possible to conduct a run for high office using little or no money?

I think politicians are bought and sold like any other commodity. While I don't think money is the root of all evil, it contributes mightily, and has no place in deciding who we choose as leaders. I've noticed that campaign finance reform is only talked about when someone gets caught with their hand in the cookie jar, and then is dropped as soon as the heat dies down. There is no incentive for our employees to change the rules, because the rules favor them.
We could publicly pay for campaigns. Everyone gets the same money, and when it's gone it's gone. This would eliminate special interest contributions, and give everyone a skin in the game, but only one. This seems a better choice to me than what we're doing. What we have now is tantamount to jury tampering for which jail time is required.
Beyond public financing, would it be possible to run with no money at all? We're becoming a more and more interconnected bunch, with the resources to share without the input or contribution from the typical media.
Any other ideas?

Image for post Given current networking and opensource possibilities is it possible to conduct a run for high office using little or no money?
Kiras avatar Politics
0 0
There are no comments here yet. Start the conversation below!