Would religion exist if the first humans had our scientific knowledge?

I am steadfast in my opposition of religion.

I believe there is a beauty to mystery and living well. I believe religion unknowingly does its followers wrong. It tells them that all beauty you see is God's doing.

I believe God is the ultimate manifestation of not knowing the answers. He is the life-filled alternative to an "I don't know."

I believe religion functions as ethics, as philosophy, for those too weak to act good on their own fruition, and need some sort of motivation to be good: a ticket to heaven will do.

So, my question is this: do you believe that, if the first humans knew everything we know today -- about biology, chemistry, physics, economics, and so on -- would religion exist? If so, why? If not, would this be a good or bad thing?

Image for post Would religion exist if the first humans had our scientific knowledge?
lawyers avatar Science
0 3

I think it would still exist. Religion was a way to explain the world around them, yes, using God or Gods to justify some things. But, every time we discover something new, it opens the door to more unanswered questions. Not to mention, none of those things you mentioned explain emotion, answer the question of "beyond" life, it's meaning, and the fear that comes with the end. I think people would still turn to something to justify those answers.