What is your perception of people with gender identity issues (transgendered), and has it changed in the last 5 years?

Where did you get your perception about transgendered people from, and did it change over the last five years? Have you ever met someone with a gender identity issue, or has your opinion been formed by what you have seen in the news and on popular television?

My aim is to get a rough idea of whether people base their opinions on transgendered people through TV and social media, or through actual interactions with transgendered individuals.

I would also like to hear what your thoughts are about people with gender identity issues?

Image for post What is your perception of people with gender identity issues (transgendered), and has it changed in the last 5 years?
lawyers avatar People & Celebrities
0 4

The sad truth is that I was raise with social media giving me transphobia and homophobia. I still face a lot of phobia words, jokes, and mannerisms to this day. It also pains me that I face these transphobia and homophobia things I do and say, when I am in fact transgender and homosexual. To answered your question, yes social media did give me the wrong image of transgender people. But when I choice to announce to others that I'm transgender, my views changed. This is hard to explain.

I only recently learned about transgender, and then one of my closer friends came out as ftm. I think they are normal people, just like the rest of us. One of the common mistakes is confusing gender identity with sexual orientation. A lot of people think that being transgender means you like people of the gender you were assigned at birth. This is not always true, as it was in his case. He is female to male, and still likes guys. :)

@IyzCampbell I only recently learned about transgender, and then one of my closer friends came out as ftm. I think they are...

"A lot of people think that being transgender means you like people of the gender you were assigned at birth."

WHAT?! People think that?

@Ryuu "A lot of people think that being transgender means you like people of the gender you were assigned at birth."...

Yeah, a lot of people do not research when learning about transgender people, and assume that because they have the brain of the opposite gender, they like people of the biological gender they were born with.