Are you bothered by Cyber Bully's and Trolls?

The question is, what should we do about Cyber Bullying and Trolls. How can we deal with them? If we stand by and do nothing are we just as guilty as a crowd of people standing by watching a mugger do their work without interfering for fear we will be next? What do you suggest?

Image for post Are you bothered by Cyber Bully's and Trolls?
funkyhomosapiens avatar Life
0 10

No, not really. I think people are being really ignorant when they say it's as easy as turning off the computer/blocking them, though.

I think it's funny when people I don't care about are mean to me

Not really. I just ignore cyber bullies because they don't know me, and I don't know them, so what's the point in listening to anything they say? Blocked, ignored, deleted. If I see someone being cyber bullied, then I stick up for that person.

Trolls, I admit, are annoying. They do make my online life interesting, though. Sometimes I feed them and pretend to be annoyed when in real life I'm laughing. Other times, I just think, "Troll," and go on with whatever I was doing.

I can see though how other people are bothered. Some people care too much about what others think of them. I've seen the movie, "Cyberbully," and it was so sad. It drove the main character into wanting to kill herself. If you've never heard of it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyberbully_%28film%29. I do recognize Cyber Bullying as a real issue, though.

@BlindMist Not really. I just ignore cyber bullies because they don't know me, and I don't know them, so what's the point in...

It might not even be about caring too much what people think of them, and they might know you in real life. The can make statuses about them, photo-shop pictures of them and show everyone, have real pictures of them and show everyone, forward people their messages. They can turn everyone you know against you. It doesn't have to be between just the cyber bully and the victim- they can bring everyone they know into it. It's easy to say they just care too much what people think, but not having anyone on your side, everyone taking theirs, especially if they're making things up, loosing your friends because of it, would be really lonely and hard. It's not as easy as just blocking them. They can still have an impact even by not talking to you. Plus it's so easy to just make a new account.

@Frank_n_Furter It might not even be about caring too much what people think of them, and they might know you in real life. The can...

Yes, I know. I was just explaining my experiences with cyber bullies. I don't go to public school, so I really have no trouble with people I know bullying me in any kind of way.

Like I said, I do know that it's a real problem for some people. Anything that can drive a person to hate themselves, and close to suicide is a problem. I didn't mean to sound so shallow about it.

Cyber bullying is probably worst than regular bullying, because instead of doing it where an adult could possibly catch you, you're hiding behind a screen on an account that adults would just look past. No one would know you were being bullied unless they suspect a depressing change in you, or you told someone.

It doesn't bother me personally, but I am bothered that people are that cruel and would offer help if I come across someone being cyber-bullied.