Is suicide awareness a topic that is being neglected too much? Or is it tabooed for "PC Reasons"? When is enough enough?

In Australia, the ABC Tv Station recently ran a story on the subject of suicide awareness and a side-story on narcotics contribution. The show was nearly prevented from going to air because of "sensitivity and political correctness" concerns which ended up involving the High Courts. As someone who was suffered suicidal depression and lost family members to suicide, I find the "tabooing" of the subject wrong. In Australia, for example, newspapers are not allowed to report suicides as such: for censorship reasons they MUST be reported as "unsuspicious circumstances" - severe fines apply. Psychologists/Psychiatrists are not allowed to use the word around patients or patients' families for concerns best known to whoever decided on that regulation. And a similar story regarding depression, which in Australia affects 4 out of every 5 males and 1 out of every 3 females.

So when does this negligence and political correctness become overly excessive? Why is it that despite the growing suicide rate (which stands worldwide currently of one person every 30s), people are not prepared to try and do anything. In England ad campaigns are run to raise awareness: but IS THIS ENOUGH? How to we stop something when we cannot even mention it in conversation? Are we complicit as a silent community trying to avoid "that which must not be named"? How do we try and turn this situation around?

Image for post Is suicide awareness a topic that is being neglected too much? Or is it tabooed for "PC Reasons"? When is enough enough?
funkyhomosapiens avatar Life
1 6

Neglected. Too many people don't get treatment for being suicidal because there's such a taboo for it. Although personally, I believe that people have the right to their own life which includes the right to take it, I would like if people would try every other option before going through with it. And people say if I knew someone who committed suicide or went through being suicidal I'd think differently, and that really makes me mad they assume that. I've been on suicide watch, depression runs in my family and 3 people have killed themselves. I still think people have the right to their own life, it would just be preferable that they try other things first. If there was less taboo about it, people wouldn't feel like they can't seek help.

It needs to be openly discussed. As long as it's considered something you shouldn't talk about, people with suicidal thoughts will feel like they can't ask for help.

It needs to be addressed More!

you have a right to end your existence, it's just not legal

I think it should be a topic that people are well informed about. Not necessarily overdoing the whole "shove it in your face" sort of thing, but more along the lines of let people know it's not hell on earth.

I think it should be brought up more often... Too many people take sucide as a joke but it's not funny. What do you mean by "PC Reasons"? Jw.