Should couples contemplating marriage use genetic testing to determine if they should have children?

It is a well known fact these days that some diseases are inherited by offspring from their parents. We know that some of us cannot take certain medications because our bodies lack the lock/key mechanism to use the medicine. Genetic research has created tools to screen couples to see if their marriage has the prospect of having healthy children.

One of the cheapest way to solve most of our problems associated with overpopulation would be voluntarily self sterilization. If a genetic test indicated a high probability that our offspring would be deformed, have early heart problems or any number of health conditions that would preclude their children from having a healthy life should voluntary sterilization be an option?

If such a social practice were to become a social trend, how might this impact society as a whole? What organizations might work, energetically, to destroy such a social trend?

Image for post Should couples contemplating marriage use genetic testing to determine if they should have children?
Kiras avatar Health, Beauty & Fitness
0 2

I don't think genetic testing would be a bad idea
especially if the couple has a family history

I'm not a fan of permanent sterilization though

there are plenty of other forms of birth control
and there's also the morning after pill

I'm also not concerned about overpopulation
I feel it's like global warming

a good chunk (I think the majority) of the population does not even have access to medical attention etc etc
with some having a doctor come to town once a month

I once read somewhere that the whole world's population could fit into the state of Texas

sure we can run low on resources
run short on food
but that's been happening since forever

this century is also not the first time there have been predictions of a "overpopulation scare"

I think this video relates: