How advanced could humanity be if theism never came into existence?

When I think about it, religion in the past really stifled technological growth by oppressing people and keeping them from sharing scientific knowledge and keeping people from sharing new ideas. For example, when Galileo stated that the earth does around the sun, the church threatened to hang him. That just isn't right. If religion never existed, how technologically advanced could humanity be by now? Could we be interplanetary? Could we be interstellar? Could we already have AI's? The questions go on.

Image for post How advanced could humanity be if theism never came into existence?
bobbobs avatar Religion
0 1

It wasn't 'religion' that tortured people, etc - it was ego, and the church elite not wanting to give up power. Uneducated people are easier to control, and that is the goal of many elites - even today.
My belief in Jesus/God does not hinder me from sharing knowledge - scientific or other - or new ideas one bit.