Is it time we taught intellectual courage alongside critical thinking?

I have noticed, to my dismay, that many people who consider themselves good critical thinkers are incredibly dogmatic.

As most of these critical thinkers have been educated in critical thinking would it not make sense to also educate them at the same time in intellectual courage?

By this I mean teaching the value of changing one's mind if the evidence suggests it appropriate, without fear of being seen as 'weak'.

I also mean teaching them that it is possible to have a menu of understandings that are sometimes seemingly at odds with one another, rather than just a monolithic viewpoint.

It is, after all, possible to hold viewpoints that do not line up perfectly alongside one another once one allows for the possibility of doubt.

Another part of intellectual courage is the ability to be able to separate WHAT you think from WHO you are (who you are is what you DO...although this is, for sure, informed by what you think). If people are able to uphold this separation of thought vs identity then the chances of dogmatic thinking recedes.

Would it be feasible to teach intellectual courage in our schools and universities?

Image for post Is it time we taught intellectual courage alongside critical thinking?
funkyhomosapiens avatar People & Celebrities
0 0
There are no comments here yet. Start the conversation below!