+7

Schools should add psychology as a basic and mandatory subject.

I believe that psychology should become a basic and mandatory course for all schools and all grades. My primary reason is that psychology helps people open their minds and live happier. There are many ways a psychologist accomplishes this. Studying psychology helps the student learn more about the human mind and how it operates. Just to be clearer in what I'm trying to say, some of the mandatory courses in schools are: math, science, language and social studies. Now compare each of those 4 courses individually to psychology, weighing the benefits of each. The only course I found that is more essential for a person than psychology is language. But besides that being obvious, why should math or science or social studies be mandatory and psychology not be? The only reason I find any course should be mandatory is that it makes life and coexisting with others easier. I personally can't find any reason why studying psychology shouldn't be mandatory in schools, can you?

Image for post Schools should add psychology as a basic and mandatory subject.
Kiras avatar Life
0 6

I think they should require economics, and maybe a class that teaches them things that they will need to use in life, like taxes and stuff like that.

Ethans avatar Ethan Disagree +2Reply
@Ethan I think they should require economics, and maybe a class that teaches them things that they will need to use in...

Indeed and economics is also based around how people trade with one another (or human interaction). It doesn't necessarily have to deal with monetary items. So perhaps economics and psychology can be tided together.

At my high school, economics is a required class to take as a senior in order to graduate.

The main issue for me is that I already am losing my electives due to other things being required, such as another science credit or math credit. I don't want my whole school career to be dictated by someone, I want at least some free choice. Yeah, it would be nice to add psychology as a required one, but people wouldn't take it seriously, and I want to be in psychology with other people who want to be there, not people stuck there who goof off all the time. All in all, I want more choice in my classes, and requiring more classes will just make me feel trapped and fake, so leave psychology as an elective.

First they should make music required. It is proven to increase cognition and understanding of math and science.

Until schools get back to the time honored basics (music and logic) things like psychology and economics will be over the heads of most students.

If a kid's brain is not wired for rhythm and meter, and (s)he doesn't understand syllogism and enthymeme those other "facts" are useless.