+26

Change the way we educate our children.

We know that disruptive thinking is one of the best ways to innovate, so why do we work so hard to change that mind set in our children. Let me start when I had this thought. Several years ago I agreed to build (well help build, my 7 year old insisted he would do most of the work) my son a tree house. I started by asking him how he wanted it to look, size, height, etc. At 7 years old it was quite possible that this tree house was going to be two stories, have an elevator, running water, electricity and a throne room (this was his castle phase). Obviously this wasn't going to happen but to see him do what we call thinking out the box was refreshing. Flash forward 8 years and my son no longer thinks like that. Some would call in maturing but at what point is mature to mature. One thing I noticed was the way we educate. It's not here's a problem now how would you solve it, it's this is how you solve this problem now practice. What we lose is the disruptive thinking that leads to great innovation. In giving kids the ability to think freely, innovate and yes fail, we give them what success is built on. I think we need to focus more on letting a child come up with his or her own ideas then explore why they may or may not work. I hear too much of ‘that’s a great idea but let us try this'. What I would like to hear is 'that's a great idea; let us look into that a bit'.

Image for post Change the way we educate our children.
Kiras avatar Animals & Nature
0 0
There are no comments here yet. Start the conversation below!