What are the attributes that a child needs to learn to be a successful adult? What poems or songs best deliver the message?

Poets and songwriters are persons well versed in effective communication that is brief. The attention span of kids (and many adults) is short enough to make long explanations ineffective. Songs and poetry makes communication fun.
To start the first list, I will borrow some character attributes from the Scouting program-trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean, and reverent. In addition, I think these ideals are very important:

1) Hard work is the great equalizer
2) Those that think ahead have more chances to be proactive rather than reactive.
3) Learning to enjoy life below your means reduces financial stress
4) Much about life is random, but chance favors the prepared mind
5) Seek, covet, and protect the truth.
6) Positive energy applied to most human interactions may cost a bit initially, but eventually will yield dividends.
7) Enjoy life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Protect the right of others to do so.
8) Strong and healthy body helps strong mind.
9) Live in harmony with nature and learn from it.
10) Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

So, now what songs and poems best communicate one or more of these attributes or ideals? What attributes or ideals have I messed?
For example:

Ideal 9 & 10-“I’d like to teach the world to sing”
Friendship-“You’ve got a friend” James Taylor
Ideal 5 “Truth” Bacchylides

Image for post What are the attributes that a child needs to learn to be a successful adult? What poems or songs best deliver the message?
Art
0 0
There are no comments here yet. Start the conversation below!