Why do women face problems at work? Why is it that they always have to prove themselves for people to take them seriously at work?

We all talk about how things have changed in a male dominated society for women. But the fact is that working women have to still try hard before people at work start taking them seriously. One has to prove to convey the message that we are capable enough and can be intelligent and excellent leaders. I have seen many situations where working women are looked as show pieces in offices. Why do we have to try hard for men to look at us in a different way? There are exceptions indeed, no doubt. Things have changed a lot, however not to an extent where there is no need to be questioned at all.

When I started working right after my graduation, learning new things and especially the so called, "Corporate life" was tough. I had seen girls getting jobs not on the basis of their intelligence but their looks! Many of my male colleagues told me how good looking women can get promoted easily. I had seen how few of them got things the easy way. These situations not only surprised me but were shocking as a beginner. But as we get used to these, should we just say ....this is how it is and move on?

Image for post Why do women face problems at work? Why is it that they always have to prove themselves for people to take them seriously at work?
Politics
0 3

Also, being called a feminazi for even bringing the issue up

That sucks

Males can be victim to this as well. If you're dealing with an incompetent hiring manager who keeps hiring the best looking women for promotions, you're hurting the ones who may actually be able to do the job better, both male and female.

I think the solution is having transparency behind the hiring decisions of a certain position. Like rank the top 5 to 10 people for the job, the first of course being the one who gets the position and provide reasons the top 5 or 10 made it so high.

sexism still exists sadly, not much in the young generations but in the older ones very much