Should we teach our children about American support for dictators throughout the 20th Century?

Chiang Kai-shek, Pinochet, Batista, the Duvaliers, Synghman Rhee, Laurent Kabila, Idi Amin, Franco, Anastacio Somoza, Suharto, The Shah of Iran, PW Botha, Saddam Hussein, Rafael Trujillo, Noriega, Mubarak, and a host of other people long determined to be dictators of varying ruthlessness.

In the American public school system, we teach that the European colonial powers divided the continent of Africa with detriemtnal cultural effects that can still be seen to this day. Should the support of America for these dictators be given equal emphasis?

My rational support for this question stems from the belief that a deeper understanding will give our youth a clearer understanding of current world events.

However, I will freely admit that my ulterior motive is that it's high time that America be honest with its involvement on the world stage, and how it has shaped the destinies of other countries by working with the same malicious intent that we have ascribed to European empires.

Image for post Should we teach our children about American support for dictators throughout the 20th Century?
Politics
0 1

If you leave it to the government schools to educate them about our past, present, and future, you're SOLno smilie