Do you consider writers/poets to be artists? None the less, literature as art?

As a writer, of course I consider myself an artist and of course I consider literature as art. It's mental art, art created in the mind.

I find that the way words form together to make the most amazing sentences, and eventually written pieces of work, is amazing. But writing has been on the downlow, and music and other visual/audible forms of art have been rising higher. People consider Lady Gaga and Picasso as artists, but what about Langston Hughes and Walt Whitman? Edgar Allen Poe and Mark Twain were considered some of the best writers of all time, but never once have I heard them be considered as artists. So here I ask, what do you think? And please explain your reasoning.

Orangiess avatar Art
0 17
@1935447

But what if it is used for entertainment? Many pieces of work are considered art, and are mostly made for the entertainment of others.

@1935516

Entertainment is more of a by-product, it would never negate the artistic value of something. It could be incredibly entertaining or not at all entertaining and would still be art.

Absolutely. Who could even think of denying that the are?

@TommyUK1234 Absolutely. Who could even think of denying that the are?

Many people.

Usually people that say things like 'Reading sucks' or 'Reading is retarded'.

People who are too ignorant to value different things.

@Orangies Many people. Usually people that say things like 'Reading sucks' or 'Reading is retarded'. People who are too...

But writing is not limited to books and poems. Even commercials have writers. A copywriter is every bit as much an artist as a poet. And anyway, whether you like the person or not, it's hard to objectively deny that someone writing is an artist, wouldn't you say? It's basically just true by definition

One problem with talking about art, is that a lot of people tend to base their definition of "art" simply on what they like or dislike. If you love something creative, you'll call it a masterpiece, but if you don't like it then you'll call it a travesty and an insult to art. You can't even begin to objectively describe it, quantify or appraise it.

As a writer, yes, I believe writing is a form of art. I think anything we use as a form of expressing ourselves is art.

(dictionary.com)
1. the creation of works of beauty or other special significance
2. the exercise of human skill (as distinguished from nature )
3. imaginative skill as applied to representations of the natural world or figments of the imagination
4. the products of man's creative activities; works of art collectively, esp of the visual arts, sometimes also music, drama, dance, and literature