How to live before you die?

Like most commencement addresses, the June 2005 speech delivered by Steve Jobs offered the college graduates pearls of wisdom as they finished their studies and prepared to embark on life's way. But the oft-cited graduation speech to students at Stanford University also offered related stories and fascinating glimpse into the twists and turns of the Apple chief executive's remarkable life, and the Zen-like philosophy that fueled his creative passion and helped govern his tireless energy.

"You've got to find what you love," Jobs told students in the now famous address, urging them as he wrapped up his speech to "stay hungry, stay foolish."

The Apple visionary, who died on Wednesday, then proceeded to recount his own story: a life presented in three acts, starting from his birth to a young unwed mother who put him up for adoption after first extracting a promise from the adoptive parents that they would one day send the baby to college.

"And 17 years later I did go to college," Jobs recounted at Stanford.

"After six months, I couldn't see the value in it," he said. "I decided to drop out and trust that it would all work out OK," he said, adding that he decided to abandon his studies at Reed College in Portland, Oregon, to found his groundbreaking Apple Computers company at age 20 in his parent's garage.

"It was pretty scary at the time, but looking back it was one of the best decisions I ever made," Jobs recounted.

The lessons he learned, Jobs said, were much more far-reaching.

"You have to trust that the dots will somehow connect in your future. You have to trust in something -- your gut, destiny, life, karma, whatever," he said. "This approach has never let me down, and it has made all the difference in my life.

Image for post How to live before you die?
Life
0 1

a good life