Do you believe that people can recover from schizophrenia and lead a normal productive life?

Schizophrenia affects 1% of the population around the world, it doesn't matter where you live. I am one of those 1% and have fully recovered with the help of medication, I take it daily. I have had the illness for 30 years but no symptoms since 1997. I lead a very full life with owning my home, working full time, taking care of my elderly mother and enjoying the same activities as evryone else. This illness is shrouded in a lot of myth and stereotyping and carries a stigma. I wish people would learn the truth about this and other mental illnesses so that we would be accepted by society. Stigma is caused by what people think of us and how they treat us, this only serves to compound the illness and keep people from getting treatment. The stigma that societies cast on us is a huge barrier to recovery as people internalize it. I wish people did not get there education from hollywood and understood these illnesses better. So please, if you know someone with a mental illness help them by supporting them in their efforts to get better. We did not ask for these illnesses and do not enjoy them, we simply wish to be accepted, if we were we would do a lot better.

Image for post Do you believe that people can recover from schizophrenia and lead a normal productive life?
bobbobs avatar Health, Beauty & Fitness
0 2

There is no cure for schizophrenia, it is a life long disorder. That doesn't mean the people will never live a productive normal life, but they'd have to work much harder at it.