How can we stop the dumbing-down of society?

How can we make the larger society smarter, faster? Apart from the occasional success story, every education reform has failed. What needs to be done on the grand scale to turn things around?

Life
0 8

Stop broadcasting what MTV and other sources of media show now a days. No more publicizing drugs, drinking, the "party" life, trashy behavior, and etc.

Unfortunately the dumbing down of Americans has been going on since about 1912. Here is an 8th grade test giving in 1912 (http://www.washingtonpost.com/b...r-8th-graders/) And here is another one from 1937 that many 8th graders had to pass in order to graduate to the 9th grade. (http://voices.washingtonpost.co...ade-gradu.html) I wish I knew the answer. I am just going to home school my children, when/if I ever have any. I was lucky, my mom took the time to work with my sister and I before we even went to school. I have always been considered an "Old Soul" and I credit that to my mom. I can't stand knowing that kids now days don't know the difference between Their, they're and there. It boggles my mind. And they're not being taught to read/write cursive anymore. Which is frighten because our Constitution is written in cursive!! Just my thoughts. smile smilie

@Candii Unfortunately the dumbing down of Americans has been going on since about 1912. Here is an 8th grade test giving in...

I hated writing in cursive

and other than signatures and my second grade class in elementary school

I do not use it at all

and reading it isn't all that difficult

I also don't think society is dumbing down overall

it's gotten smarter in a lot of ways
it's more tolerant
and intelligence is seen as more than book smarts

maybe it is dumbing down in other ways

Promote independence and offer help when needed. I think the more people rely on the government (or their parents or anybody else) to do things for them, the dumber they are.

To be fair, it also depends on what you mean by dumb and smart. I think we've learned that intelligence isn't just about creativity, book smarts, or street smarts. It's much more broad than that. I won't take away all credit from society and say they're getting dumber, but rather their knowledge is focused on different things than it was in the past. Like not knowing cursive doesn't make you dumb; it just means you never learned something that used to be a common thing to know in society. Times have changed and cursive really isn't necessary to use on a daily basis. So why waste time learning it if you'll never use it?

@StickCaveman Promote independence and offer help when needed. I think the more people rely on the government (or their parents...

Because....all of our most important documents, like the Constitution were written in cursive. I believe that is an important enough reason to learn it and be able to read it.

@Candii Because....all of our most important documents, like the Constitution were written in cursive. I believe that is an...

They're available to read in print. Plus, if someone really wanted to learn, it's not that hard to do so on their own time. It's kind of like any form of art. People who want to learn it always can, but it should not be required in any curriculum.

By not being idiots ourselves?

Get the federal government out of the schools, and teach people how to think for themselves, make them take personal responsibility.