Has the Indian education system focused more on content and curriculum or completely relied on the existing competition scenario?

Recently, Minster of Environment in India, Jairam Ramesh, flagged of a hotbed of discussion after quoting "IITs are surviving because of their students. There is hardly any worthwhile research from our IITs. The faculty in the IIT is not world class". That made me wonder about the system of education I have experienced. A small secret about the average Indian family: we pretty much go the herd's way. In India, the IIT craze was launched at the age of outsourcing and the MNC job openings. A hefty pay package, not only made the IITian's family happy, but also pushed up his social standard. An IIT engineer became the new IAS. The average Indian wished for that blissful future and ran the marathon along with several neighbors. The business minded Indian did see such a demand as the upcoming financial boom in the education sector. Then began the plethora of coaching centres.
Have you ever heard of the bottle-neck principle? Its an inverse proportionality law which states that congestion of liquid at the mouth of a bottle leads to building up of pressure and further hindrance to any incoming liquid. Such is the state of our competition in the field of engineering.
I would just like to plainly put that such competition is not bringing out the best in you, its just bringing out a droid in you whose only objective is to win, irrespective of the fact of knowing the opportunity cost of such a trial . Such competition just builds up pressure and nothing else. I have always thought education to be more of a boat stranded in the middle of the sea than the Mumbai local train where you have to push the other person to get yourself a place, even to stand. I prefer imagining it like the former. Serene. captivating. Infinite options!

Countries & Places
0 1
There are no comments here yet. Start the conversation below!